No announcement yet.

**** stinging grass !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We call it stinging nettle and we have a ton of it. Grows really good in the shade where other things won't. Yard burner does work. So does roundup. I planted rye grass real thick a couple of years ago before the stinging nettle came up. That helped but you have to mow rye grass pretty often or it gets pretty tall. My 2 year old little girl decided to throw a fit and throw herself down in some stinging nettle the other day, she is listening better now lol. Alcohol or spit rubbed on the welps will help with the stinging.

Comment

Got into bulk nettle one time pretty bad, made a vow to never do that again lol. Doc’s advice was to have my brother pee on it. I just dealt with the pain instead for a few hours haha.

Not sure what the OP posted, but doesn’t look like bull nettled to me. I would mow it, then spray Image on it. Image won’t kill your grass, but it will kill weeds. If you want to kill everything, get some gly from tractor supply

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
        That there is bullnettle!! I hate it with a passion!! Seen cows eat it. Almost turned me off of ribeyes. Almost...
        I backed into it while working on a fence with my brother.... I didn't know what was happening, I just ripped my shorts off soon as I could. Not sure what my thought process was, I just knew my *** and upper legs were on fire. Good thing no one could see us. My brother laughed pretty hard for a good bit!!!

Comment

Cannot remember the name but we had it bad on our place for the first time last year in Washington County. It's not the spines but the juice of the plant. Talked to the county agent and they said for some reason is was bad last year. People use the plant to make a medicinal tea. Recommended 2-4D. Went to tractor supply to get some and they said everyone was buying 2-4D to get rid of it.
          This year I have seen more growing already. About to start spraying again. I had mixed results last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
            Its a weed not a grass but I digress. Can you post a pic of the underside of the leaf? It's not bull nettle and doesn't look like something that would "sting". Could it be he is allergic? Have you thought about maybe mowing it so your two year old doesn't have to deal with it?

I mow pretty regular . Makes it worse . Spreads the seeds . It has a spine on the stem . Fine little hairs

Comment

Agree with spraying some 2-4D.

Comment

the underside

Comment

If that is regular mowing, then I would sharpen your blades. LOL

Comment

You have what is called lawn burr weed aka Urtica Dioica
                    Bull nettle is totally different
                    TXHUNT3R posted an actual picture of Bull Nettle aka Cnidoscolous Texanus

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                      If that is regular mowing, then I would sharpen your blades. LOL

Crap outgrows the grass like crazy . Every time I mow it stinging grass triples .

Comment

You have had some pretty good info here. I will concur with the 2-4D, or like above said if it's in a place you want to kill all, then glyphosate would do. It can be used in a medicinal tea. Dry the leaves, crush, and steep in hot water. Not much flavor, and I cannot remember the usefulness right now.
                        Wild Foraging Texas can be helpful if it's something your interested in.

Comment

Ive slept in bull nettle before. Beer before liquor never been sicker <---truer words have never been spoken.

Good Luck on the eradication OP.

Comment

Mowing?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              Mowing?

All that has done is spread it so far .

Comment

That stuff stings for sure. We had it close to the coast when I was a kid. We always called it burning grass

Comment

Working...
                                X