Horse stall advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse stall advice

In process of having our barn built. We put in concrete floors everywhere except the stalls. What do you recommend to put in the stall floors - I will put shavings over the top but curious what is best? Our horses will not be spending alot of time in them - we have 25 acres of coastal and the spend majority of their time outside. Thanks

Originally posted by TKK View Post
    In process of having our barn built. We put in concrete floors everywhere except the stalls. What do you recommend to put in the stall floors - I will put shavings over the top but curious what is best? Our horses will not be spending alot of time in them - we have 25 acres of coastal and the spend majority of their time outside. Thanks
    I put lightly tamped limestone fines in the bottom of mine and drilled/opened up a bunch of holes with a rotohammer. Then about 5" of sand. Then shavings as needed on top of that. The limestone was for when an area got pee saturated...it would neutralize the urine that got down to it and keep the ammonia smell down.

Comment

Main thing is keeping them dry. Not sure if rain blows in or not. I would use a dry sandy soil that drains well and be generous with the shavings.

Comment

Put down a good base of sand and maybe a bit of crushed granite from your local nursery store then go to Tractor Supply and get the thick black rubber mats and cut them to fit on top of the sand / granite. Then put the shavings on top of the rubber mats. Your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ranchdog View Post
          Put down a good base of sand and maybe a bit of crushed granite from your local nursery store then go to Tractor Supply and get the thick black rubber mats and cut them to fit on top of the sand / granite. Then put the shavings on top of the rubber mats. Your good to go.
          This^^^

Comment

Apparently the horses that I have owned over the last 40 years have all been neglected...all they have ever had was dirt......LOL.

-john

Comment

We used screenings. It packs down really well, but still soft enough for the horses and doesn't get muddy. Most everyone around where I am use this for their stalls.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                We used screenings. It packs down really well, but still soft enough for the horses and doesn't get muddy. Most everyone around where I am use this for their stalls.
                I use the concrete screenings also. I pack them hard and then a think layer of a fine shavings.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                  Apparently the horses that I have owned over the last 40 years have all been neglected...all they have ever had was dirt......LOL.

-john
                  It's all about how much money you want to spend John.

Comment

Up here in Illinois our horses spend a lot more time in their stalls than they did in Texas. We put a base of limestone fines about 4 -6 inches packed hard then put 3/4 inch rubber stall mats down. Then we use wood shavings on that.... Good luck.

Comment

Just redid ours. Added 4-5" of sand

Comment

I am sorry Tye. Didn't know you had horses. My condolences!

(Speaks the man whose wife owns over 25 *&@#%$+ registered racehorses. Sigh.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                          I am sorry Tye. Didn't know you had horses. My condolences!

(Speaks the man whose wife owns over 25 *&@#%$+ registered racehorses. Sigh.....)
                          Yep, my wife and daughter have Reiners. They are actually going to Waco today for a show
                          My wife pays the horse stuff and I pay for hunting/shooting/NFA stuff

Comment

Stalls suck. Avoid using one if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tye View Post
                              Just redid ours. Added 4-5" of sand
                              So sand only? Ours will not be in stalls much

Comment

Working...
                              X