Clear All

Originally posted by sotol View Post
    You just didn't drink enough.

This was just the maiden voyage. I know it'll happen eventually [emoji23]

Comment

Looks great Mike

Comment

Nicely done and looks well-built.

We're going to take some of this concept for a floating sun deck/island in my Uncle's brand new lake. Our adj might be smaller and fewer barrels to get the deck closer to the water's surface.

Did you use marine grade materials?

Comment

All it's missing is holders for the umberall, fishing poles, and beer!!

Comment

Floating Dock & Pier

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
            Nicely done and looks well-built.

We're going to take some of this concept for a floating sun deck/island in my Uncle's brand new lake. Our adj might be smaller and fewer barrels to get the deck closer to the water's surface.

Did you use marine grade materials?

You can also add water to some of the barrels if you want it to float a little lower in the water, and help stabilize it even more. I don't see myself doing that, but it is still an option, if I chose to.
            I used tested lumber and "exterior grade"hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
              All it's missing is holders for the umberall, fishing poles, and beer!!

In due time, my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                You can also add water to some of the barrels if you want it to float a little lower in the water, and help stabilize it even more. I don't see myself doing that, but it is still an option, if I chose to.
                I used tested lumber and "exterior grade"hardware.
                My mind was going that direction too. Do you believe those size barrels on just the 4 corners is enough to support the unit? I estimate filling them 1/4-1/3 to place the joists ~2" above water level? (I know that element is fully adjustable)

Comment

My mind was going that direction too. Do you believe those size barrels on just the 4 corners is enough to support the unit? I estimate filling them 1/4-1/3 to place the joists ~2" above water level? (I know that element is fully adjustable)

How big is your dock going to be? 4 barrels will probably be fine for 8'x8'. Mine is 10'x12'

Comment

12'x12' or 10'x14'. Room for kids to run & jump. Thinking now of 6 barrels and we'll just fill as needed for the height desired. Looking for black barrels that will be less visible.

Comment

12'x12' or 10'x14'. Room for kids to run & jump. Thinking now of 6 barrels and we'll just fill as needed for the height desired. Looking for black barrels that will be less visible.
                      I think 6 barrels would be okay for that size, and I doubt if you'll need to add much (if any) water to them. I used white barrels because they were FREE. My wife is kinda picky about colors herself, but even she is very happy with how it turned out, and doesn't object to the white color.

COUPLE OF HINTS:
                      1) Build it very near your pond, if possible because it's gonna be heavy, when you're done. I had 3 friends come over to help me get it in my pond, and you can see how close I had it to the water, and we had no trouble with it. Or you could deck it after you put it in the water, but I opted for finishing it out before launching it.
                      2) You want the barrel support stringers no more than about 16" to 16 1/4" from inside edge to inside edge, so the barrels don't press up against the deck boards.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                          I think 6 barrels would be okay for that size, and I doubt if you'll need to add much (if any) water to them. I used white barrels because they were FREE. My wife is kinda picky about colors herself, but even she is very happy with how it turned out, and doesn't object to the white color.

COUPLE OF HINTS:
                          1) Build it very near your pond, if possible because it's gonna be heavy, when you're done. I had 3 friends come over to help me get it in my pond, and you can see how close I had it to the water, and we had no trouble with it. Or you could deck it after you put it in the water, but I opted for finishing it out before launching it.
                          2) You want the barrel support stringers no more than about 16" to 16 1/4" from inside edge to inside edge, so the barrels don't press up against the deck boards.
                          Thanks. #2 was on my mind all along. Don't want the deck boards doing anything but be supported by joists and carry the live wt.

Comment

Very nice sir, been thinking of doing this my self.

Comment

Very nice Mike, great job!

Comment

COUPLE OF HINTS:

Thanks. Building it with my Uncle in his barn with a level floor, electricity, and fans! We'll just put it on a trailer and move it across the field and into the water. Kids are going to go nuts over this floating island. And we'll fish near it when they aren't around.

Comment

Working...
                                X