What type of snake is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Midnight View Post
    Kewl!!! I learned something new today!!!!
    x2!

Comment

Hognose....

Comment

Yep, hognose. I used to play with those. I got sent to the principal's office when I was in the 5th grade for pulling one of those out of the pocket of my ToughSkins to show a girl. I thought she'd like it, but instead she screamed quite loud-and long, and the teacher wasn't too happy either.

Comment

Grew up in SE Missouri and we had hognoses around too. I think my mom and grandparents called them hoop snakes. The legend was that they would take their tail in their mouth and roll down a hill, then when they got to you, they'd let go of the tail and "sting" you with it. So, if you saw one, the best defense was to get up slope as they couldn't roll uphill. Also had "blue racers" which were common black snakes and the legend on them was that they would chase you if you got too close--

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
            Western Hognose
            Yep!

Comment

good on ya, sir !
              thats one of the best of all snakes, good on ya for giving him a pass !

(you're 10 times the man of half the posters here )

Comment

I like snakes and do not have a problem with them. I have had one other encounter with this species of snake and just assume they are pretty rare in my area of Texas. I grew up on a ranch and have seen all kind of snakes, but only seen this species twice. I knew he was not poisonous and will not kill them if they are not. Heck I want kill a rattlesnake in the middle of the pasture, but if they get close to the barn or house they die. Snakes are way to beneficial to just kill.

Comment

Why "spread natter"?

Comment

spreadin atter. I assume because there is a puff atter snake.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      Grew up in SE Missouri and we had hognoses around too. I think my mom and grandparents called them hoop snakes. The legend was that they would take their tail in their mouth and roll down a hill, then when they got to you, they'd let go of the tail and "sting" you with it. So, if you saw one, the best defense was to get up slope as they couldn't roll uphill. Also had "blue racers" which were common black snakes and the legend on them was that they would chase you if you got too close--
                      That would be a coach whip I think is what your Grandparents were talking about . Hog nose , Speadin Adder because of the way they spread out

Comment

Hognose for sure. Got one about 20 feet down the hall in my son's room. Cool little snakes. They flatten their necks out to look more threatening to predetors. They will also play dead if you mess with them. They roll onto thier backs. Be careful though, they are venimous. Fangs are in the back of thier mouths like corral snakes. They eat frogs in the wild but we feed ours baby mice. That reminds me, I gotta run to the pet store today

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                          (you're 10 times the man of half the posters here )
                          I agree! I am skeered of snakes, no doubt about it. Them that can't hurt me make me hurt myself.

Comment

Hog nose. Keep em' around. They eat rats. You wont have mice problems as long as you got those around.

Comment

Yep, it's a hognose. Cool snakes for sure. Ranks right up there w/the goats that go stiff/faint when you scare them.

Greg

Comment

Puff Adder

Comment

Working...
                                X