Best V8 Engine Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miket View Post
    I believe that was all resolved in 2012 and up.
    I honestly don't know but I deactivated the gas saving / cylinder skip on my 5.7 Hemi Durango with a tune...you need the spark plug firing every time to keep the rings expanding.

I don't 'think' I had this going on with my 2011 2500 6.0 & thought it was limited to the SUV's with the 5.3??

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
      2wd? My running average is 9.14. That’s a bunch of stop and go. Tires are 285’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nope 4X4. I have made no changes to it. It is exactly like it left the factory. I live out in the sticks so most of my miles come from highway driving.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        I honestly don't know but I deactivated the gas saving / cylinder skip on my 5.7 Hemi Durango with a tune...you need the spark plug firing every time to keep the rings expanding.

I don't 'think' I had this going on with my 2011 2500 6.0 & thought it was limited to the SUV's with the 5.3??
        Please explain what the spark plug firing has to do with the rings sealing?

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
          Please explain what the spark plug firing has to do with the rings sealing?
          Understand that I'm no wrench...it was explained to me that having 4cyl do the work of the other 4 & not having ignition / same combustion heat within those cylinders is what was causing some sort of the failure on the prison rings & was causing some other problems with gaskets leaking...I'm only speaking f what I heard on the 5.3'

The wife's 15 Tahoe has 50k on it & it's been fine. I'm sure if has the gas saver option.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
            I’m a Tundra guy and the CrewMax bed is a no go but there is plenty of room in the extended cab and it comes with full size bed!!
            Yup. I've got the double cab 4wd with an actual long bed on it..8' (wanted the whole truck). '10 model and it gets 16+ all day long on the hwy trips. I don't do the pretty wheels and big ol tires tho. 4 of us get in it every yr and go to South Dakota huntin and we're comfortable. Crew max is nice but don't be scared of the dbl cab if your gonna use it like an actual pickm up truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              That's why I mentioned 5.3 without cylinder deactivation in my post above. I believe the issue has been resolved though.

Here is one way to not have to worry about it, an arm disabled. It keeps it working like the older engines, 8 cylinders all the time. https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
              Our '08 has this. She burns about a quart extra every oil change but just rolled over to 170K! I should prolly just leave er alone.. Couple of electrical gremlins but a great rig otherwise. Momma's lookin' tho.

Comment

This has been proven the LS engine is it Like it or not they are swapped into all the other " best vehicles " Its a sturdy power plane that is not over costly to repair , More after market system for it than all other put together. Used to be the SBC today is the LS . Best to me is not just one thing but many .

Comment

its done with the lifter , it has half normal lifters and the other half can be turned on or off with oil pressure . Not 100% on the hemi but I would think it is done the same way

Here's how all three GM EcoTec3 engines in the 2014 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra shut down two or four cylinders at low power demand to reach 22 mpg

Comment

LS-Based Chevy. Edit: GM*

I'm not bashing any of the other offerings as with decent maintenance I'm sure they are all great. Other than maybe the Tundra Longevity Fanboys. They are no doubt good solid trucks but if you really want to research the statistics the 5.3 and 6.0 have the most high mileage motors still on the road.
                    Last edited by TreyRo; 06-13-2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Do you have any info to know for sure? I'm looking at a few GMC's with the 5.3 (2013 n up) but a little hesitant after reading this thread.
                      I believe that was all resolved in 2012 and up.
                      Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've owned em all (except dodge) and I will chose Tundra

All. Day. Long

MPG isnt great, but its an awesome motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          Do you have any info to know for sure? I'm looking at a few GMC's with the 5.3 (2013 n up) but a little hesitant after reading this thread.

No, but here is a link to a lawsuit alleging 2010-2013 ( but states the issues started in2007 )

A GM 5.3L engine oil consumption lawsuit alleges numerous 2010-2013 General Motors trucks and SUVs suffer from defects that allow oil to enter the combustion chambers of the 5.3-Liter V8 Vortec 5300 engines.

Comment

this!

I think GM's 6.0 is one of the most reliable gassers out there...my tranny crapped out with 335k miles & engine was still going strong.
                            agreed

Comment

No, but here is a link to a lawsuit alleging 2010-2013 ( but states the issues started in2007 )

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
                              Great info there and appreciate you passing it on.

Comment

Toyota 3URFE (5.7L V8)

Comment

Working...
                                X