No announcement yet.

257wby Bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't had anything as accurate in Dad's 26"bbl MKV as the 115gr Berger, but have no performance reports on game from it. For the range specified, I'd have a hard time not slinging a 115 or 120gr Partition at 'em. I'm more of a traditional guy at heart.........

Stu

Comment

My rifle has a 24inch barrel, 69grs of RL22, WLRM primers and Nosler 115 gr Partition gave me an avg velocity of 3354 and an SD of 5.

Bobby, I also have about 50 of Berger 115gr VLD Hunting bullets left that you are more than welcome to use. Just shoot me a PM and I throw em in the mail.
      Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Started with spitzers and now shoot 115 vld’s and 110 accubonds

13 critters dead in their tracks, 3 no further then 40 yards, one made it about 125 yards but the shoot was a hair back as he was walking and 310 yard shot.

Comment

I let my neighbor use mine last deer season. I had several boxes of the Spitzers which are 100 grains. He shot two deer with it. One deer didn’t even wiggle, the other he was excited and put a couple shots into it. I found one bullet and it was a pretty mushroomed bullet. I reload Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tips for it but he decided to use the Spitzers instead. I wanted him to try the NBT’s so I could see the aftermath. Maybe this year.

Comment

I've had the best results with the Accubonds. Haven't had one run off yet. I've also used the 115 gr Berger H VLDs. Those bullets are extremely destructive to internal organs. Leaving the innards immulsified. But never had a pass through, not that it needed it the bullet did exactly as it was supposed too expending all its energy in the animal. Just didn't like loading those things so close to the lands and basically turning my 700 into a single shot that was a little bit of a pain trying to get a unfired round out of the chamber.

Comment

In my two vanguards they had trouble grouping anything other than the spire. Have shot them in south Texas for a long time. Under 150 yards go for heart lung. Over that bone is good.

Comment

I shoot the 115 barnes TSX and have had really good luck with them. I have not had one fail to pass through an animal yet and leave a good exit. Have shot a couple 200+- lb boars and they were DRT behind the shoulder. Has been my go to bullet in most of my rifles since i started loading.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                  I let my neighbor use mine last deer season. I had several boxes of the Spitzers which are 100 grains. He shot two deer with it. One deer didn’t even wiggle, the other he was excited and put a couple shots into it. I found one bullet and it was a pretty mushroomed bullet. I reload Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tips for it but he decided to use the Spitzers instead. I wanted him to try the NBT’s so I could see the aftermath. Maybe this year.

At 257 velocities do not plan on an exit with the NBT. Might consider Accubonds IMO

Comment

I am shooting Berger's in my .257 reloads. Love my .257

Comment

I run the 115’ @ 3210. Had them over 3350 and things got a little explosive, may of been bad batch or the bullet just didn’t handle the rpms well. Either way dropped it down an no issues.

As far as on game preformance I’m 99% if the time high shoulder or neck/shoulder crease so 99% of my shots are DRT. That’s more shot placement then bullet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                        I've had the best results with the Accubonds. Haven't had one run off yet. I've also used the 115 gr Berger H VLDs. Those bullets are extremely destructive to internal organs. Leaving the innards immulsified. But never had a pass through, not that it needed it the bullet did exactly as it was supposed too expending all its energy in the animal. Just didn't like loading those things so close to the lands and basically turning my 700 into a single shot that was a little bit of a pain trying to get a unfired round out of the chamber.

I’d like to know how you got the bullet that close to the lands. When doing load development for mine, the bullet would fall out of the case mouth before reaching the lands.

Still is a 1/4” gun with factory loads so I don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

110 accubond man!! Part of me wants that gun back haha

Comment

115 VLDs or 117 GMKs @ 3450-3600 fps is hard to beat. I did a lot of testing and settled on the 115 VLDs. I did not have a good experience with the 100gr Barnes YMMV

Comment

Hornady Interbond has proven to be a wicked pill to me.

jrg

Comment

Got it figured out yet? Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X