Roofer involvement in hail damage claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
    There are insurance bids and there are cash bids....knowing the insurance companies pay more...hence the difference.

Get a bid saying you're paying out of pocket, and then filing an insurance claim...people pocket the difference
    The only way this will work is if you commit insurance fraud. If you get a bid for $8,000 and file a claim you will need to provide the invoice to prove completion in order to recover depreciation.

Let’s say the Replacement Cost Value (RCV) is $10,000 and you have a $2,000 deductible. If you submit that invoice for $8,000 the insurance will pay $8,000 less $2,000 deductible for a net payout of $6,000.

The only way you pocket cash is to provide a false invoice for $10,000 or more and pay the roofer the $8,000. At $10,000 you break even.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      If a salesman (call them what they are - they aren't roofers) offers to represent you or work on your behalf, you're working with a criminal.

Representing, negotiating, settling, whatever word you want to use....of an insurance claim for the policyholder is the exclusive purview of 2 types of people ---

attorneys and licensed public adjusters.

Honestly, I've been an adjuster for a long, long time, and there's no way in hell that I would sign anything with a roofer, give them any money up front, or rely on anything that they tell me in regards to an insurance claim.

(and yes, I know a few good roofers - they don't need a contract from me, they have the financial standing to finance a job, and they don't stick their nose where it doesn't belong. If that describes you, then I'm not talking about you
      I don’t represent, settle, negotiate or any other word. I do request to be present at the adjuster meeting. In doing so I can often gauge by the demeanor of the adjuster how tight he is going to adjust. I only get on the roof if the adjuster invites me. When up there I help run measurements if he is doing a hand measure and answer any questions he has. But it is usually small talk. At the end I ask to review scope. I’ve already done my homework and have a pretty decent idea of what damages exist, I want to know if the adjuster’s findings match mine. They often ask if I noticed anything different. Often I didn’t. In the event I did, I mention it. It is up to the adjuster to look more closely. Most prefer not to have to deal with unnecessary supplements or follow up adjustments.

I never call out work I don’t intend to do. I don’t do fences, I’m not interested in the ACV for hail dings in a stained fence. I only worry about work I intend to do.

Comment

Roofer involvement in hail damage claim

After several run arounds with Allstate about our roof we had a roofer come out after a bad hail storm earlier this year. The Allstate adjuster previously said that the damage was less than our deductible and that it would be best handed out of pocket. That just didn’t seem right so we had a reputable roofer come out and he saw things differently. We contacted Allstate again and they sent the adjuster out again this time with our roofer present. We ended up getting a new roof out of the deal and I was happy with the job the roofer did working with the adjuster on our behalf. We did have to sign a waiver that we would use the roofer involved with the claim but we had previous vetted them and were going to use them anyway so it was no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          I don’t represent, settle, negotiate or any other word. I do request to be present at the adjuster meeting. In doing so I can often gauge by the demeanor of the adjuster how tight he is going to adjust. I only get on the roof if the adjuster invites me. When up there I help run measurements if he is doing a hand measure and answer any questions he has. But it is usually small talk. At the end I ask to review scope. I’ve already done my homework and have a pretty decent idea of what damages exist, I want to know if the adjuster’s findings match mine. They often ask if I noticed anything different. Often I didn’t. In the event I did, I mention it. It is up to the adjuster to look more closely. Most prefer not to have to deal with unnecessary supplements or follow up adjustments.

I never call out work I don’t intend to do. I don’t do fences, I’m not interested in the ACV for hail dings in a stained fence. I only worry about work I intend to do.
          There ya go.

It's called staying in your lane.

You're doing it right.

Your best weapon as a contractor is a well-informed (and ready to fight) homeowner.
          Educating them with good information is good for everyone.
          Let them play the desk adjuster and their agent to get what they deserve.

Comment

I just went through this earlier this year. Had roof inspected by one roofer - got bids from 2 more - then called my insurance. I dealt with my insurance company directly - and paid the roofer. The roofer I selected provided me with the most comprehensive and detailed estimate and explained the process the best out of the 3 I dealt with. He met with the insurance adjuster at my house to walk the roof and answer any questions. I had my claim approved same day and roof replaced 2 days later. Smooth and easy process.

Comment

Get 3-4 quotes on what needs to be done. Same thing, feel them out. If they sound shady, move on to the next guy.

Comment

insurance industry owns both sides of the isle, all snakes

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

Thanks, I appreciate this answer! I just thought it was odd to not get an estimate or bid from the roofer. I had to put this on the back burner for a bit due to getting busy at work and the holidays.

Like I said before I am not looking to make money or get out of my deductible I just expected more info prior to calling my ins. company.

Comment

Will they raise your rates after a claim? If they do could a person hold off till absolutely necessary or will insurance company claim that was old damage? Here in Texas seems like we get hail at least once a year.
                    When we lived in Colorado it hailed just about every time it rained. But we were at the base of the Wet mountains. Weather changed very quickly there.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      Just have your agent send an adjuster.
                      It wont ding you or cost anything
                      This is not true. The second you get the insurance company involved it becomes a claim. Even if you decide not to use the insurance company you will more than likely have a zero paid out claim on your history. That affects your rating also.

Comment

Ask for the roofers references in the area and call them. Ask about their experience with said roofer and how the claim was handled.

Comment

roof

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                          don’t pay any money until the job is complete
                          Thats a big AMEN...!!!!

Comment

Roofers are getting to be as sleezy as car salesmen these days. Still good guys out there but getting harder and harder to find!

Comment

I used local roofer I knew he looked at roof and said definitely damage and on the app iy showed hail and tornado in my area. Filed claim with usaa and adjuster agreed and even looked at barn and shop (his idea not mine) but said they didn't quite have enough. This is why I'll pay USAA rates !!! Allstate has the worst reputation on paying claims.

Comment

I run install for a roof company. A GOOD roofing company will require you to pay your deductible. Covering it is illegal. We routinely see homeowners screw themselves trying to handle there own claim and get bids. When working for insurance proceedes we always find 10-35% additional work needed the insurance was going to short the h.o. theres a lot involved too much to type here. Remember this only applys to A GOOD REPUTABLE roofing company

Comment

Working...
                                X