Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrow for a compound, recurve and longbow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
    I can shoot the same 400 spine arrows from my 54# compound (Conquest 4), 63# R/D longbow, and 52# recurve. I do it all the time.

When I shoot them from the compound and 63# longbow, I use 100 grain points. When I shoot them from my recurve, I use 160 grain points. My arrows are also 32" long.

Because your longbow is going to be cut further from center, it wouldn't surprise me if you can use those 340 spine arrows with 150+ grains up front.

However, on the recurve, you'd need more like 300 grains up front to get them to tune.
    What is your draw length?

Comment

My 43 lb recurve can only shoot up to 125 up front with 500 spine ,heavier like 145 it starts kick to the side I have to shoot 400 with 145 or 165. My 48 lb ACS I shoot 340 spine 165 up front , with a 400 shaft they start to fishtail left. 30.25 length arrow. With
      my toelke 45 lb 500 spine 125 to 200 grain . I know weird.They are large differences in spine to weight , I guess depends on the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Ah yes... (I can see them now.)

There in is the hitch though... in order for you to use the same arrow, you have to accept that your gpp for the longbow is going to be 5.5... which I doubt there is a boywer around that would be happy with you shooting his/her bow with a 5gpp setup.

A 340 at 32" is probably more like a 450 at 28". then when you throw 250 gr out that far, it probably shoots more like a 600 spine arrow. So yeah, it makes sense that you can get the spine right... but at 5.5 gpp, you aren't going to be happy down the road.
        My current arrows for my 43# Gull Wing recurve weigh 533

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
        What is your draw length?

31 1/2" is what my Strother Moxie is set at

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
          My current arrows for my 43# Gull Wing recurve weigh 533

31 1/2" is what my Strother Moxie is set at
          I take back the comment about arms like a gorilla

What is the expected draw of the longbow if 70#@28 and you are drawing 31ish? ~84#?

Comment

No idea

Comment

Are you planning to shoot feathers from the compound too? I think you will be better off in th long run if you set up a set of arrows for each bow. If you only want one set of arrows then get rid of the compound and pick your favorite trad bow. If I were you I would get rid of both those trad bows and buy one that isn't a ridiculous weight like both of those.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                I take back the comment about arms like a gorilla

What is the expected draw of the longbow if 70#@28 and you are drawing 31ish? ~84#?
                I think it will be close to a 30" draw. It will depend on his anchor.
                Try the clothes pin...
                Clamp a clothes pin to your arrow and slowly draw your bow to your anchor.
                Let down and measure from the valley of the nock to the clothes pin. That there will be your draw length.
                Draw weight increases or decreases 2-3 pounds per inch over or under specified draw weight. In this case 70@28, and you draw 30", will put you at or around 76# at your draw (30")....on your 43# bow, it will be +\-49# at 30".

Comment

First thing you need to do is figure out your draw length when shooting the long bow and the recurve. I shoot a 30.5 inch draw on my compound and only a 27 on my long bow and a 26.5 on my recurve because of differences in my shooting style. Not saying yours WILL change but I would be surprised if you pull 31.5 inches on a 70 lb recurve.

Comment

you can figure #3-4 per inch past 28". i bet you lose at least an 1 1/2" off your compound draw length. so i'd guess you'll be drawing somewhere between 76 and 78#. buy a 1/2 dozen 7590 gold tips and bare shaft tune the correct way. you'll end up happier in the long run, won't cost you anymore because you'll be able to use the same broad heads in both bows.

Comment

Working...
                    X