No announcement yet.

Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those engines without AFM that start using oil at high mileage is most likely due to the OEM valve seals getting hard and leaking. A good valve job and replacing the seals with VITON seals will bring it back to life for another 100K +

Comment

How much is the warrantied re-furb engine installed? I have an 09 Z71 that seems to be headed this way. 203k on it.

Comment

Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

3 year / 100,000 mile. Shop has a 2 year warranty on parts and labor
        Last edited by 2050z; 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

What years had this issue, both 4.8 and 5.3?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
            What years had this issue, both 4.8 and 5.3?
            Mainly the newer models with active fuel management.

Comment

So what kind of money is a new engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                So what kind of money is a new engine?

A lot

Jasper Engines.

Comment

I bought a new truck in 2011 and six months out of warranty, 70K miles, valve job on one head. Trade in time?? I have put 10K since it was worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a 2011 5.3 that got a rebuild at 29k miles

Comment

The weak link in the Gen III and Gen IV engines continues to be in the valve train. Engines with VVT and AFM are more prone to failures of the lifters.
                      2006 and earlier did not have VVT or AFM but there were some issues with the heat treating of the cam lobes and there were a good number of cams that would chip on the nose of the lobes. So many in fact that getting a stock replacement cam usually required a wait time as there were none in stock.
                      2003 thru 2005 5.3l engines were the worst. Variable valve timing and active fuel management both put uneven strain on the entire valve train as well as causing ring seal failure and oil consumption. It's what GM has done to meet fuel economy standards put in place by the smarter than everybody else tree hugger bureaucrats.

Comment

I've got a 2013. Any info on the newer engines

Comment

My 07 Tahoe with 5.3 started burning/losing oil at 140K. It got progressively worse until 240K when I lost #1 cyl. and #7 cyl. was beginning to fail as well. Jasper reman. engine went in. It was cheaper than new car payments. A little under two years and 60K miles later still going. A little left on the warranty. No complaints on the jasper. Fuel mileage has been less. I might look at the afm delete as well; I hadn't yet not wanting to void warranty. Just need to decide when to call it quits on this thing. Needing lower ball joints, struts/shocks, brakes and starting to notice a vibration in the driveline.

Comment

Some mechanics feel that the cam lobe failures may have been due to the recommended oil viscosity 5w-20 was too thin and the use of full synthetic allowed the lifter roller to skate and bounce coming on and off the cam lobe ramp and chipping the cam lobe and sometimes the lifter roller. GM lifters are I believe manufactured and supplied by Delphi and Comp Cams made some of the OEM camshafts if not all.
                            Outsourcing of engines and engine parts is done by all car manufacturers to some extent and it's really hard to track down some of this stuff and where it came from, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Mexico etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                              Anybody have a tuner for an 08 Chevy?
                              Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                              I've got a 2013. Any info on the newer engines
                              blackbearperformance.com, you would need to send them your pcm and have them tune it.

http://www.diablosport.com/sprint-ac...gement-module/ - this is just like the range device, plug in and drive, there does seem to be a slight battery drain with the range device but this one i am not sure.

http://www.diablosport.com/intune-i2...r-gm-vehicles/ - this one being the more expensive option, can disable the afm/dod and tune vehicle

the biggest problem with these engines is even the tune does not guarantee the afm lifters to not have issues. The lifters are the fail point since they have internal springs and seem to get clogged up over time and come apart. The only true way to rid the problem would be install regular lifters, and all the parts to support them ( about 1k in parts + labor) and turn the engine back into a true V8, you would also have to tune the PCM to rid the afm/dod once this is done. If and when this happens to my wife's tahoe, I will go this route. A good friend of mine does this conversion, and has done it to several vehicles with no issues after the conversion. It essentially converts the newer engines with afm/dod back to true V8 motors.

Comment

sorry to hear the motor going out
                                I hit 250k on mine 2001 5.7
                                still going strong

Comment

Working...
                                X