Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a new engine for my 08 Silverado

Truck engine lasted almost five years. 160K miles and the #6 cylinder lifter has gone out. After a lot of research it's a known issue. GM won't cover the cost to fix this mess. AFM causes an oil consumption problem. Which in turn causes a whole bunch of other issues. My engine is 5.3L

I still love this truck so I am getting a refurbished engine with a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

My 08 5.3 motor lasted 50k til I had a motor put in it under warranty because this issue , you can get the afm tuned out I've been neeeding to do it on my new motor just haven't had time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im glad the older 5.3's are workhorses cause wifes got 280k on hers mines gotta buck50 and they both run flawlessly

Comment

Originally posted by talleywack97 View Post
        Im glad the older 5.3's are workhorses cause wifes got 280k on hers mines gotta buck50 and they both run flawlessly

My 99 4.8 z71 I sold with 260 and it never let me down it was on 35s and I was in highschool imagine how it was treated [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard that this was an issue on some of them
          Does it make any difference on what oil is used vs life of lifters ?
          Sorry to hear it happened to yours
          Hopefully your new engine will give many miles of use

Comment

Sorry to hear brother. Im hoping mine lasts 3 more years

04 5.3l with 230k on it. I get a little nervous each trip to the deer lease.

Comment

Be sure and have the AFM disabled or you will have oil consumption problems again sooner or later.
              When there is no fuel into the cylinder during AFM the cylinder has no combustion pressure to keep the rings expanded. The cylinder is just acting like an air pump and will suck oil up past the rings on the intake stroke aided by the crankcase pressure. Probably one of the stupidest things GM ever did IMO. AFAIK the AFM is not a required part of your emissions system.

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                I've heard that this was an issue on some of them
                Does it make any difference on what oil is used vs life of lifters ?
                Sorry to hear it happened to yours
                Hopefully your new engine will give many miles of use
                Regular oil changes with Mobil 1. Doesn't matter what the drivers used this AFM
                is a piece of junk.

Several have mentioned getting a custom Tuner and turning it off.

Comment

should I bought a Ford [emoji14]

that sucks but at least it didn't crap out on you Thursday morning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    should I bought a Ford [emoji14]

that sucks but at least it didn't crap out on you Thursday morning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                    So very true..... On not crapping out on my Thursday

Comment

Went through this just before Christmas, but it was on an 08 with the 4.8l

I decided to replace it with a Ford.

Fwiw- I got $2500 for mine from a wrecker in its non running state

Comment

I got lucky on my '10 with 4.8. Had it covered under warranty with just days left.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody have a tuner for an 08 Chevy?

Comment

My 3 5.3L engines were great. However, I got rid of every one of them once they started to burn oil. All of them made it into the 160k area.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                              Anybody have a tuner for an 08 Chevy?

Theres an afm delete called range, it basically just plugs in the obd port and your ready to go. If your looking for a tune ide look real hard at blackbear performance, all they do is gm vehicles and can really wake a 5.3 up.... that is what I got done on my 2014 with a 5.3

Comment

Working...
                              X