Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
    Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
    I'm not a coach and outside of playing catch, throwing/hitting ground balls, and pitching in the cage I'm going to rely on the expertise of these kid whisperer coaches that he responds better to.
    I also will curb my cheering and calls of encouragement and reminders while my kid in on the field...as well I will stop being the dugout dad constantly giving advice.
    He already knows what to do and who he's supposed to be listening to...doesn't need dad to be in his ear.
    Doesn't want dad in his ear.
    That's my promise for 2017.
    Let him enjoy the game.
    Great book

Comment

Well I have my team set for another spring season. Got a great group of boys and even better parents. Can't wait for the spring season. We start batting practices this week.

Comment

We started tonight got to get the boys in shape with a little strength and conditioning and then start working on fundamentals in a couple weeks. Good Luck to you guys playing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
          We started tonight got to get the boys in shape with a little strength and conditioning and then start working on fundamentals in a couple weeks. Good Luck to you guys playing this year.
          That's great and good luck to you guys! Glad you had enough interest to get a team together for the spring. My 11 year olds starts practice this Saturday and says he's ready to go. We shall see. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
            My son is about turn 11. Has played select ball since he was 7 (spring, summer, fall). He's burnt out. I saw he had potential and i burned him out. I took the fun out of it....made him practice way too much...and I regret that. He didn't want to play this past fall, and doesn't want to play this spring. It's tough on me, especially being a high school baseball coach. Hopefully he will pick it up again later.

He decided he wanted to shoot shotguns competitively so we're going that route. So far he loves it and is having fun with it. I've learned not to push. He's still a kid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Ive seen this so many times....... Hard to look forward to the Christmas tree when you never take it down.
            My son has played select and I could see the excitement/ fun draining away so we stopped. Spring ball only now. I can see the fire back in his eyes. This will be his 6th year playing (he's 10). We have had several coaches call us wanting him to join their teams...... I want him to have fun worse than I want to win.

Whatever brand the kids play it should be more fun than work at this age.

Can't wait for the spring season to start !!!!

Comment

My son just turned 9 and we are gearing up for league ball, workouts etc. I have been an assistant coach on his teams for several years. We have not played select as of yet but have been asked to tryout. We have a solid group of kids in our local little league at that level with a good core of 5 or so kids on each team that push each other, but of course we lose talent every year. We just keep trying to coach them up. in the fall he has played baseball too but also enjoys flag football and winter basketball. If the right type of team comes up, with the right mix of coaching, and he needs the level of competition increase we will consider it. I understand the daddy ball stuff we have all seen it, we make an effort to push the kids that can SAFELY play in the infield to do it and get them innings there when we can. and we encourage ALL the kids to try and pitch. Just like in school work though some parents do not take the time to nurture and encourage practicing skills at home and that makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
                My son is about turn 11. Has played select ball since he was 7 (spring, summer, fall). He's burnt out. I saw he had potential and i burned him out. I took the fun out of it....made him practice way too much...and I regret that. He didn't want to play this past fall, and doesn't want to play this spring. It's tough on me, especially being a high school baseball coach. Hopefully he will pick it up again later.

He decided he wanted to shoot shotguns competitively so we're going that route. So far he loves it and is having fun with it. I've learned not to push. He's still a kid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"Sitting here at a private hitting lesson for my son, just finished Matheny's book and I will be changing my approach to being a baseball parent.
                I'm not a coach and outside of playing catch, throwing/hitting ground balls, and pitching in the cage I'm going to rely on the expertise of these kid whisperer coaches that he responds better to.
                I also will curb my cheering and calls of encouragement and reminders while my kid in on the field...as well I will stop being the dugout dad constantly giving advice.
                He already knows what to do and who he's supposed to be listening to...doesn't need dad to be in his ear.
                Doesn't want dad in his ear.
                That's my promise for 2017.
                Let him enjoy the game."
                Lots of truth in these two posts, all baseball parents would be well served to read and heed all of the advice given in Mike Matheny's book. My son plays 13u select, I've been involved in the coaching aspect of it and now I've backed off and allow the paid coaches to handle things. Overall its been a great experience. While coaching, we had great parents for the most parts. Now that my son plays for a larger organization, I'm starting to see some of the gypsy-style overzealous parents who club hop on an annual basis hoping to push little Johnny to become the next 12yo MLB all star. This fall we had an outstanding team, albeit a brand new group of players who were mostly brand new to the club we are with, but they played very well in the majors division and success moving forward was very easy to see. Unfortunately, a small group of the players parents made the entire fall a drama fest b/c they were obsessed with 12yo little Johnny's every move and gave the coach and other club directors a hard time. I loved the kids and hoped they would stay together, but the parents pretty much ruined that, to the point that one of the club directors almost canceled our last tournament due to non stop drama that he was having to deal with from a select group of our team's parents. Baseball isn't what it was when I was growing up playing, in a lot of ways its morphed into an ugly creature. I try to still make it a great experience for my son, we have a ton of fun with it and he is crazy about playing so I guess that's all that counts. I have to force time away from playing during Dec./Jan. and honestly I'm not even real thrilled about him playing fall ball. 9 months of baseball a year is too much IMO but we've created this mess and turned it into what it is.

Comment

My son completed the NPA week long class at Doxco Pitching academy last September. I highly recommend it for any young pitcher. Coach Doxakis son is a freshman pitcher at ATM and was taught by his dad. Kevin Bierne also teaches the program in the Woodlands.

Comment

It's been mentioned so just going to put this here.

http://mikematheny.com/sites/default...yManifesto.pdf

Comment

My son is 8 about to be 9 and we have avoided select so far, it's tough though because he knows that some of his friends are playing ball and wants to know why he's not. I've considered starting a team and only playing Feb-June/July because a lot of the best ball players aren't playing select due to other sports and just not wanting to play year round.

Comment

We went select this year, after carefully picking the team (even after trying out)..
                        We actually went through the little league tryouts and were fully registered to do that but got calls, and figured we'd entertain the idea.
                        We asked a lot of questions and did not want a team that was looking for position players at 7u.
                        Wanted a team that was looking to grow together without heavy emphasis on winning out of the box but rather on learning, getting better, and building character through activities off the field.
                        Think we found and chose/got chosen by the right one.
                        Great first practice, boy didn't want it to end.
                        Looking forward to the future.

Comment

We went select this year, after carefully picking the team (even after trying out)..
                          We actually went through the little league tryouts and were fully registered to do that but got calls, and figured we'd entertain the idea.
                          We asked a lot of questions and did not want a team that was looking for position players at 7u.
                          Wanted a team that was looking to grow together without heavy emphasis on winning out of the box but rather on learning, getting better, and building character through activities off the field.
                          What team did you end up playing with?

Comment

Nice, hope the coaches stick to it and it works out.

We start practicing this Tuesday, looking forward to it...

Comment

started practice a couple weeks ago....have practice today...first tourney in dallas for the Mavs tournament....11uAAA

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                                What team did you end up playing with?
                                Drillers out of montgomery

Comment

Working...
                                X