• Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Feed Totals:
    Protein - 17,500lbs
    Cottonseed - 4,200lbs
    Corn - 8,775lbs
    We had around 5 acres of wheat/oats
    Rainfall - 32.46in (18.34in from September thru December)

In 2019, we are hoping to reduce the protein consumption down to around 13,000-14,000lbs by using our Krivoman timed protein feeders and increase cottonseed to around 7,000 to 8,000lbs. We will plant a 3.5 acre spring/summer plot for the first time this year so we will see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      2018 Feed Totals:
      Protein - 17,500lbs
      Cottonseed - 4,200lbs
      Corn - 8,775lbs

In 2019, we are hoping to reduce the protein consumption down to around 13,000-14,000lbs by using our Krivoman timed protein feeders and increase cottonseed to around 7,000 to 8,000lbs. We will plant a 3.5 acre spring/summer plot for the first time this year so we will see how that goes.
      That’s a little bit of feed lol

Comment

2018 Feed Totals:
        Protein - 17,500lbs
        Cottonseed - 4,200lbs
        Corn - 8,775lbs

Deer gotta eat! I’m keeping a feed log this year and them suckers can throw down some groceries!

Comment

2-18-2019 Update

My dad has been out there the past couple of days and took a couple of pictures of the two plots. The 3.5 acre plot that we fenced off recently is looking really good. The 1.25 acre strip is looking good, especially since both deer and cows are hitting it fairly hard. The deer really aren't hammering the protein or cottonseed too hard and our plots are actually growing with some of the warmer days we've had. There is a bunch of native forage out there right now (i.e. filaree) that is really helping the herd.

Here are some pictures of the two plots as of today:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2866 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24571410

Name:	IMG_2865 (Medium).jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	24571411

Name:	IMG_5039 (Medium).jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	24571412

I'm hoping to grab the memory cards next time to see what bucks made it through the hunting season. We passed all of the quality bucks on our place this year but i'm not sure what the neighbors shot. Here's to hoping the really nice 4.5yr old typical 12 point made it through the season.

Comment

how are you keeping the deer off of the fields to give it time to grow?

Comment

I noticed our plots greening up a couple weeks ago in Leon co.
              The good Bucks have disappeared from the feeders and plots.

Surprised how quickly that nasty cold weather ended and spring started.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                how are you keeping the deer off of the fields to give it time to grow?
                Well, we fenced the bigger field off from the cows about three weeks ago so I believe the work from that probably made the deer a little more nervous. Also, there’s a lot of native forage growing everywhere out there and we also provide protein and cottonseed. I’m curious to see how they continue to grow and how the spring/summer plots grow once we plant them in mid April.

Comment

3/4/2019 Update

The deer have really slowed down on protein and cottonseed due to all of the native forage available out there (i.e. filaree, engelmann daisy, etc.). It should be a really good Spring with all of those rains we got this past fall. We put out 3,000lbs of protein this past weekend and will continue to feed cottonseed along with protein but will stop feeding cottonseed around the end of August. We are hoping that by feeding more cottonseed this year will allow some of the does, fawns and younger bucks to get a high protein/energy feed since some of these younger deer get run off at the protein feeders.

Comment

3/18/2019

Here's a picture of our 3.5 acre fall food plot. It's doing really well.

Name:	IMG_5087 (Medium).jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	24574967

Overall, consumption on protein, cottonseed and our plots have really slowed down over the past two months. They've only eaten around 100lbs of cottonseed out of each cottonseed feeder over the past 3 weeks. Normally they will empty 350lbs of cottonseed in about 3-4 weeks. The wet fall has really provided a lot of high quality native forage, which is great but hopefully the deer will get back on the feed sooner rather than later. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Comment

In a couple months you'll be hoping they slow down some, enjoy the low bill while it lasts.

Comment

You got that right!

Comment

3/20/2019

We have come to the conclusion that the only way for us to reach our goals for growing quality native bucks and keep the population in check on our property is to high fence. We have worked with our neighbors for nearly 6 years now to try and work together but our goals are not the same. Almost 1/4 of our property is already high fenced and the fencing company is out there as we speak getting everything else installed. I hope to have some pictures and updates as we go along.
                          Last edited by bgleaton; 03-20-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

We have worked with our neighbors for nearly 6 years now to try and work together but our goals are not the same.
                            Neighbors are key. High fence is the only option if the neighbors aren't on the same game plan. Going to be interesting to follow along.

Comment

Don't blame you one bit

Comment

I don’t blame you! It’ll be fun to see what you can do. I hope you keep it native.

Comment

Working...
                                X