Controlled Burn Gas/Diesel Mixture question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlled Burn Gas/Diesel Mixture question

While it is green and rainy I have been trying to burn in the Hill Country. I have caliche road that I use as a fire break and try to use the wind to my advantage. So far have had pretty good success, using a drip torch to send up the many piles of cut cedar that I have lying around.

Some just dont have enough fuel to go up though. And I am looking to get more of a napalm mixture to my drip torch. I use about a 60/40 diesel to gas mixture with some oil to help thicken it up. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Your using the right has to diesel ratio for a drip torch. I would leave oil out. Dead cedars can be hard to get going if the needles have fallen off. Sometimes you just have to keep pouring. If the piles arnt packed well it can be very hard to get them going
    Last edited by Etxnoodler; 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Your using the right has to diesel ratio for a drip torch. I would leave oil out. Dead cedars can be hard to get going if the needles have fallen off. Sometimes you just have to keep pouring. If the piles arnt packed well it can be very hard to get them going

Yeah leave the oil out and go straight 60/40. I have used 50/50 before if I needed a hotter fuel, but that is not very common.

Comment

I would get your burn piles moved away from the green cedars fast. The green cedar actually burn faster, easier and hotter than the dead ones. You might have a situation on your hands if not.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          If the piles arnt packed well it can be very hard to get them going
          This is my biggest issue and why I am trying to get a thicker longer lasting flame. Most of these piles are 10+ year old cedar limbs. When they catch they burn hot, but sometimes getting them to go is the issue.

Comment

Might try the 50/50 mix, no oil. Have seen some guys cut fresher dead stuff and pile on one side to help really get fire going better too....

Comment

Yep I work for a company that burns ALOT, we pretty much use 50-50,60-40, or 70-30...
              try the 50-50 with no oil.

Comment

Pear burner and some old tires.

Might want to start it while dark out though....

Comment

^ Can't (not legally supposed to) burn after dark... Won't even go into the whole tires thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                    ^ Can't (not legally supposed to) burn after dark... Won't even go into the whole tires thing....
                    Which is crazy its safer to burn at night. Dew point is heavier, and the wind is calmer.

Comment

I've always used a 50/50 ratio when burning, no oil.

Comment

Working...
                      X