Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things turning bad at work. Need advise. Go out on my own? Suck it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See if you can become a teacher in your field. I work part time at Lonestar. $40 an hour

Learn more to earn more with an affordable, world-class education. 200+ programs including university transfer, high-quality job training, and online degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      THIS ( all the above responses ) is why I posted this here. Excellent, thoughful ideas/answers. I sincerely thank yall.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a good job working offshore but things were slow. I had a side job of construction and it seems that the only time I would get a call from my offshore work was when I committed to a construction job. I finally had a decision to make and quit. Nothing compels you to get your butt into gear and sell some jobs like bill collectors and hungry kids. Everyone is different, but this is how I decided to go. Right now i am so busy I can't keep up. And hiring people is my biggest problem.

Comment

Does your employer ever get on TBH?

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post

Fark his employer! So what if he does!!!

Comment

Mike, PM me some info on your VMC and abilities, I may be able to sub some work to you. If you end up quitting where you are shoot me a resume.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                Not that I know of, but I am well aware that the world can see this.

Comment

Other shops charge a premium to get parts immediately, and when it is busy many shops wont even call.you back.
                  If you do go out on your own, or even if you don't but you keep doing jobs on the side, keep this quote at the forefront of your mind. I don't think it is hard to compete in business as long as you keep your focus on the wants and needs of the customer. It sounds like you could do well for yourself to deliver quick turn around times (without sacrificing quality), and always return phone calls quickly.

Comment

can you machine something that isnt in oil or can sell to more people? You have the skill set and the tools just need to make a sale.

Read "outliers" chapter on making aprons: http://www.obooksbooks.com/2015/3797_19.html

what I love about it, if you look and respond to actual purchases, you can find something people will want to buy. (or companies)

granted, i'm still looking

Comment

I don't think anyone knows the situation you are in better than you. The decision to start up your own business is a huge undertaking and no matter how much you know going in there is always more to it. The best advice I can offer is whether you decide to stay, look for another company, or start your own do one or the other, not both and go all in. If you continue doing both you will always be conflicted with should I, or shouldn't I. Make a decision and commit 100%. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I havent read al this yet and maybe this has been discussed but have you talked to the folks that bought the flagship product? You have been making it for years. Maybe work for them or make the product at home depending on what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          I havent read al this yet and maybe this has been discussed but have you talked to the folks that bought the flagship product? You have been making it for years. Maybe work for them or make the product at home depending on what it is?
                          Been thinking about that. Quite possible, I will have to find the right person to get ahold of.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            Mike, PM me some info on your VMC and abilities, I may be able to sub some work to you. If you end up quitting where you are shoot me a resume.
                            Will do! I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                              I would look at it with the perspective of what can I do. How can I help and what can we as a team do to get through this hard time.
                              This.
                              They are going through tough times and your best shot at continuing to provide for your family is going to be to suck it up and help out wherever you can, without adding to the stress by complaining about it.
                              If they are good people, they will recognize this and do all they can for you.
                              If they aren't you should be looking for other work while still trying to hold on to what you've got for as long as you can... and probably should have been doing that a while back.

Comment

Long term I would much prefer working for myself. I will admit I am not a risk taker. I am very conservative so it does make going out on my own pretty nerve wracking, but at the same time I feel like I have accomplished something at the end of the day. Working for someone is not fulfilling at all for me.
                                Nobody has a crystal ball to answer your question accurately. I do know for certain that if you "wait" for the "right time" to go out on your own that time will never come. Line up some work and take a leap of faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X