Hogs vs Spring/Summer Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs vs Spring/Summer Plots

Considering doing a spring planting of Powerplant (WI) or a mix of beans, peas, sunflowers, etc. It would be around 1-1.25 acre. Will the hogs destroy it before it makes? Not sure it'd be worth it if so.

Yes....did it with my lablab years ago.

Didn't touch my wheat/oats this year, just grazed them some

Comment

I have been lucky the past 3 yrs with no hog damage to my spring plots. Did have a little one winter to small grain plot. I have had hogs move back in the past 2 weeks now and been rooting in one of my plowed spring plots that has had a little new growth weeds. I have not planted yet so it is not an issue. If I do not trap them first and the hogs stay around I will probably put an electric fence up on the 2 bigger plots.

Comment

I've never had a problem with hogs destroying a plot. They'll root a little here and there but minimal damage. And I'm in one of the most hog infested parts of the state.

Comment

Probably not before it makes, but when it heads out, most likely they will. I've had good luck with soybeans, lab lab, and iron clay peas, but not much with grains. The corn I planted was rooted up and eaten the very night I planted it, the old Power Plant had milo in it, and as soon as the heads ripened, the hogs totally destroyed it. I planted a visual barrier of Plot Screen ( mostly Egyptian wheat ) and the same thing happened to it. If I let my wheat/oats ripen in spring, here come the **** hogs, so I turn it under as soon as the deer quit feeding on it. In fact, that was what I was doing today.

Where I hunt in Trinity Co., the hogs ate my bean seed as soon as I planted it. You couldn't have thrown a dime in that plot without it landing in a pig track. This year , they're gonna have a little surprise !

IMO, iron clay peas are hard to beat for spring summer, unless you have weed/grass problems, and then I would suggest RR Eagle beans for a year or two to get rid of some weeds and grasses. Or, if you have a drill, just apply gly, wait ten days, and drill them in. Good luck !
          Last edited by Drycreek3189; 03-15-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. May give it a shot and see and just risk being out a couple hundred bucks. Or a better excuse to go kill more hogs!

Comment

We had about three acres planted with milo, sunflower, etc. and have lots of pigs. They really left that stuff alone. Sunflowers grew all the way up and finally dried out and died off in the sun, but no issues with hogs getting them. Also tried to plant some peas and the deer would come by and nip off the tops when they tried to grow.

Comment

Don't know where you are but lack of winter has kept forage pretty thick around my neck of the woods. Like above they'll get into it but the only time I've seen plots completely destroyed is when natural food sources become scarce.

Comment

Working...
                X