Traditional FSC Week 34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 34

This was an idea given to my by DRT. Thank DRT for the great idea.

Pretty much everyone should have a 1 gallon milk, water, or juice jug on hand, or can easily get their hands on one.

Trace a nickle size circle (with dot in the center) on the front & back of your jugs as you see them here.

Notice the circles are in the lower half of the jug when laying on it's side. Try to get the circles placed as close to what you see here as possible

Fill your jug with water, then place it on it's side with the back side 12 inches from your target butt. The 12 inches should give enough room to get in there for pictures without having to move/disturb the jugs position.

Position the jugs angle in a way you think will give you the best chance of hitting both the front & back circles/dots.

We're simulating a quartering shot as best we can without the shooter having to stand at a bad angle in their shooting lane.

Take your shot from any position, and from 12 yards (6 for the kiddos).

After your shot, take 3 measurements.

1st measurement - Entry - Edge of arrow shaft to front dot in circle.

2nd measurement - Exit - Edge of arrow shaft to back dot in circle.

3rd measurement - Water line to back dot in circle.

Winner will be determined by the lowest total of the 3 measurements.

Shoot Straight, and above all Be Safe, and Have Fun.

Rick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RickBarbee; 08-20-2017, 09:11 AM.

After you get your jug in place on it's side - it's a good idea to poke a vent hole in the top side to help the water drain.

OH & P.S.
    If you put a little dark food coloring in the water, it will help you see the water line through the jug. Better for the pictures also. Not a requirement. Just a suggestion.

Rick
    Last edited by RickBarbee; 08-20-2017, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Neat!
      Couple of questions: is the jug supposed to be parallel to the target or angled? And are the nickel spots supposed to be level with each other?

In your pics, it looks like the spout of the milk jug is representing the "head" end of the animal, and the spots look like it will need to be a quartering away and downward angle shot. Am I overthinking this?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Neat!
        Couple of questions: is the jug supposed to be parallel to the target or angled? And are the nickel spots supposed to be level with each other?

In your pics, it looks like the spout of the milk jug is representing the "head" end of the animal, and the spots look like it will need to be a quartering away and downward angle shot. Am I overthinking this?
        Angled to what you desire.
        The spot on the back should be slightly lower than the spot on the front, but it's not a big deal.

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

Position the jugs angle in a way you think will give you the best chance of hitting both the front & back circles/dots.

Rick
        Last edited by RickBarbee; 08-20-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Quartering vitals. Awesome!

Comment

Okay, here's mine. Very pleased with shot, although, actually lots of room for improvement. My three-measure total was 4-1/8". Thought I had it lined up well on the horizontal angle, and shot from one knee. My x-ray vision for the opposite side wasn't good enough. Guess it's somewhat of a gut shot.
            1st measure, 1/4"; 2nd measure, 2-3/8"; 3rd measure (waterline-ti-backdot, 1-1/2". Total: 4-1/8"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by tradtiger; 08-21-2017, 06:49 PM. Reason: proper grammar :)

Comment

That's a darn good shot Ellis !

Rick

Comment

That's a darn good shot Ellis !

Rick
                Thanks, Rick! This call really puts the "C" in First Shot Challenge! Three dimensional awareness called for.

Comment

Great shot Ellis!!

Comment

All I have right now is a pool chemical jug and it's blue. Started marking it up then realized I couldn't see a water line in it. I need to get second son to finish his milk.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      All I have right now is a pool chemical jug and it's blue. Started marking it up then realized I couldn't see a water line in it. I need to get second son to finish his milk.

Good shot TradTiger.

I procured my jug after last nights cream sauced linguine.

Comment

My arrow went through the jug so clean, that the holes sealed up around it, and it would not drain, even with a BIG vent hole in the top.

I had to pull the arrow to get the jug to drain.

If anyone else has this problem, feel free to pull your arrow after you get the two measurements for it, and then measure your water line.

Rick

Comment

My arrow went through the jug so clean, that the holes sealed up around it, and it would not drain, even with a BIG vent hole in the top.

If anyone else has this problem, feel free to pull your arrow after you get the two measurements for it, and then measure your water line.

Rick
                          Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                            Pics or it didn't happen
                            Got em. Got video too, but I ain't gonna let you see them.

Rick

Comment

Rick
                              Yeah, I kinda had that problem as well, Rick. You may notice that the first pic of my shot from farther back, which was right after the shot, shows jug nearly full. Kind of wiggled the back side of the arrow to help it drain more, then gave it half an hour or so to get down to the lower hole level in the back side.

Comment

Working...
                              X