No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest day for the rest of the cauliflower, broccoli, napa and regular cabbage as well as a pile of collards. I caught it, now my wife can skin it.
    Attached Files

Comment

On the assumption that many of you have lost interest in gardening we can get back to farm critters and farming for a while. This youngster got his first turkey this morning from the farm. Think he is bragging to his friends about now? Not sure who was the most excited...him or his grand dad who called the gobbler in. toss up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        On the assumption that many of you have lost interest in gardening we can get back to farm critters and farming for a while. This youngster got his first turkey this morning from the farm. Think he is bragging to his friends about now? Not sure who was the most excited...him or his grand dad who called the gobbler in. toss up.
        I can't speak for everyone, but I like all your posts on the different aspects of the farm! You are doing it right on many levels!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love seeing posts about the entire property; garden, deer, farming and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
            I love seeing posts about the entire property; garden, deer, farming and all.
            Agreed. El gato is living the life that many of us dream about. I’m working toward a place like his every day I go to work.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
              I can't speak for everyone, but I like all your posts on the different aspects of the farm! You are doing it right on many levels!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              X2!!
              Living the dream elgato!

Comment

Looking good, i have been reading the Back to Eden gardening articles and is something i want to try!

Comment

Thanks folks, I'll try to keep the posts well rounded.

It doesn't take the deer long to get on the soybeans. I think the deer on the farm are so familiar with my ag system that when they hear a tractor they come looking to see what I've planted. They were on these beans within days after sprouting. Thus the fields I plant in summer crops are at least 5 acres preferably bigger. They wipe out anything smaller before the cultivars have a chance.

I think there is still a chance these stubs can grow. If you look closely you can see the start of new leaves forming. This is a 10 acre field planted at 60 lbs acre [to compensate for 80% germ rate ] . It will do well.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntinonly View Post
                    Looking good, i have been reading the Back to Eden gardening articles and is something i want to try!
                    Look into the Ruth Stout method too.

Comment

Living the dream! Got my nose right in the middle of fresh horse manure mixed with wood chips and hay. Quite fragrant. I'm building some new garden beds based on what is colloquially know as a 'Back to Eden' garden concept. I'm using the horse manure to turn to compost then I will cover the concoction with 6-8" of wood chips. I have amended the horse manure with blood meal , organic fertilizer, biochar, azomite, oyster meal,and magnesium sulfate. Will let this all melt down then cover with the chips. Should be ready to go by this fall.

Making 2 beds. One is a new raised bed. The other I'm just covering an area of my yard about 50'x50'. With this system the soil gets better and better over time. Hardly any weeding required ever. Holds and manages water very well requiring almost no watering once plants established. Disperses weight so I can drive across it if I want without soil compression. Fun experiment.

Keep this stuff coming! On the first picture what is that by your foot? Just a pc of steel where the boards join together or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        Keep this stuff coming! On the first picture what is that by your foot? Just a pc of steel where the boards join together or something else?
                        Piece of steel joining the 2x12's. Bolted together. Most important part is the 2x4 cap on top that allows my lazy butt to sit while working.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                          Look into the Ruth Stout method too.
                          Good stuff. Actually this is much closer to the method I have been using the last few years. I'm a fan of deep mulching...no weeding, better water management and does a great job of building soil. I'm just starting to explore using wood chips.

Comment

Good stuff. Actually this is much closer to the method I have been using the last few years. I'm a fan of deep mulching...no weeding, better water management and does a great job of building soil. I'm just starting to explore using wood chips.
                            I started using straw this year on my garden and liking it so far. Deep mulch is the key. I think straw/hay breaks down a lot quicker than wood chips so helps build the soil. If someone just wants to mulch and not looking for material breakdown then wood chips would do the trick. Eventually you would get the breakdown as it is talked about in the Back to Eden method but I think the straw/hay does a better composting.

Comment

Piece of steel joining the 2x12's. Bolted together. Most important part is the 2x4 cap on top that allows my lazy butt to sit while working.
                              Ha, good call! I may need something bigger than a 2x4 to support me though!

I have a place in mind for these on our new place. For the past 14 years the previous owner has had the horse stalls cleaned and dumped in one place by the barn so the soil should be excellent already.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                                Ha, good call! I may need something bigger than a 2x4 to support me though!

I have a place in mind for these on our new place. For the past 14 years the previous owner has had the horse stalls cleaned and dumped in one place by the barn so the soil should be excellent already.
                                That's perfect.

Comment

Working...
                                X