No announcement yet.

Lease cost going up .........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a lesse in Runnels Co. for 18 years. The owner died at year five, (he was a very nice guy and I drove the six hours to go to his funeral), then I leased from his wife. She was a nice lady, but had no clue how to deal with hunters as she had never had to. We did lots of extra stuff on the place, my son and I are both heavy equipment operators, and three times I either moved a small dozer out there or rented one from San Angelo and brushed the roads back, filled up holes, corrected drainage, etc. We mowed the yard around the old house each time we mowed around our camphouse, (that I built at my expense and left when I gave up the lease). The price more than doubled in the 18 years and the last few she became harder to get along with, (things like not being able to move stands or feeders), never obnoxious, but she would drive around the place while we were hunting, which he never did. The last price increase I turned her down and she cried. What's that old saying ? Something about you don't miss a good thing until it's gone ? I even handed the lease off to a friend of mine that I knew would treat her right and be dammed if she didn't move a hoe and dozer in and start clearing for a new cross fence on the opening weekend of rifle season. He left after four years and bought a place.

Comment

Like you said the only issue is he waited so late to tell you it was going up . But it still sounds like a reasonable price!

Comment

Leasing will be the death of hunting. No way I'd ever pay the prices asked for a lease just to sit in the same stand all season for tiny Texas deer.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
          Leasing will be the death of hunting. No way I'd ever pay the prices asked for a lease just to sit in the same stand all season for tiny Texas deer.
          What are you doing on the TEXAS bow hunter ?

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post

We leased in the mid 70s.....
            My grandparents/parents had it in the 60s, 70s and 80s...

Texas deer hunting is still going pretty **** strong.....

Comment

Still sounds like a reasonable price for a lease. Agree bad timing. What's written in your signed lease by both parties about increases.

Comment

Most of my lease is in a trust. Land owner ownes little less than half of what I hunt and the rest belongs to his elderly disabled sister. The court has caused my last 2 increases..
                Maybe your lease is in a situation like this.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                  We have been on a lease in Archer county for the last 5 years. Everyone on the lease are good land stewards and we have a good relationship with the land owner. We lease approximately 575 acres and paid $4,700 last year. We just found out that the cost went up to $6,000.

Does anyone else get yearly increases? This is a much higher increase than previous years. Does a 25% increase seem right?

Your thoughts please.
                  Current rate at $10 acre is at an average market price. With many higher.

You got a below.market rate for 5 years.

You always have the option to purchase your.own land. I assure you the cost with owning will make.$10 seem very fair.

Comment

A raise every 5 years is not yearly. I think you are fine.

Comment

The % increase is irrelevant. If you were paying $1/acre/year and he increased it to $4/acre/year it'd still be a fantastic deal, yes?

Just be happy you got if for what sounds like less than market value for as long as you did.

Comment

We hunt in Archer City and pay right at $10 an acre. We don’t have water or electric but we also don’t have livestock to deal with. Increases are tough, especially this close to season!

Comment

Was on a great lease in Crockett county from 1997-2010. In those twelve years the price went up over 100%. We gladly paid it cause we’d managed the place to where our top end bucks were in the 150” range. We lost that lease when someone offered the ranch twice what we were paying.

More recently we were on a great lease in Llano county. There was something in the water up there, because we had 140”- 150” deer on that place too. We gladly paid the yearly price increase, and put up with owners shenanigans. In four short years the landowners turned what was a deer haven, into a huge cow pasture. They clear cut the entire place and left the big oak trees, no underbrush. To top it all off they went up 150% on the price this past season. My pops and I politely told them no thanks and promptly got our stuff off. The funniest part was the owner threw a hissy fit when we told them we were getting off the lease. Now we’re leasless again!
                          Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 09-04-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

This is why I have never purchased one and never will have a lease.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                              This is why I have never purchased one and never will have a lease.

Just my $0.02.

Why because prices increase?

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                                What are you doing on the TEXAS bow hunter ?
                                Because I live in Texas and occasionally hunt here but always on public land.

Comment

Working...
                                X