No announcement yet.

Grim reaper carnifours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry man I was at diaper party/bow shoot for our coming little one and couldn't answer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
      Sorry man I was at diaper party/bow shoot for our coming little one and couldn't answer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just sent you a PM.

Comment

Well... I just got back from On Target archery in Canton. They put on a new cable for me and I picked up another pack of Carnifours. Just had to good of a season with them last year not to try it again.
        Really good folks there and if you go. CHECK out the Techno hunt room.

Comment

I had mixed results with them last year. I shot an elk and two whitetail and they worked great. The third whitetail I shot had a small entrance and small exit and I thought it must not have opened, but after skimming it looked like it opened after entering and closed before exiting. I'm don't know how that could happen but I know for sure it wasn't open when it exited. All shots where complete pass throughs except the elk.

Comment

Not sure about the black spring, but when they first came out they had a gold spring. And they were really hard to open. People had mixed results ( as always) . They admitted they had a problem with them opening reliably and switched to the sliver spring. Wich I guess most of there heads use. Some still have problems with them, while others don't. It's a gamble, and I am not a " lucky" gambler I guess.

Comment

Wanted to add this. I read the package earlier, and it said you could fold the blades back and make it a fixed blade. So of course I grabbed a couple and went out back. Besides the blades being really close to my fingers (I shoot an open palm) they flew good opened up. I did not go for any real distance. 30 yards max today, but right with field tips. That would definitely solve the, did not open, situation.

Comment

I have never shot them, but after this past Friday, I think I will stick with my 125 grain Ramcats. 32 yard shot. Entered the right shoulder area right at the crease, (see the pic) and exited in front of the left shoulder. Full pass thru with blood at the point where he was standing and an 80 yard tracking job that even I could follow! (color deficient for red and green colors).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	24502502

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1408.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	24502503

Comment

I've had great success with the old razor tips and razor cuts. Those and slick tricks!

Comment

One of our lease members started using them last year and he had great success. Prior to switching he had lost a couple of does and a buck over the three years previous to last season. Looking at giving them a try myself.

Comment

I had a great experience with them.
                      Only shot one cull buck with them last season.
                      Penetrated fine, and I watched the deer go down. Crazy amount of blood.
                      Huge entrance and exit holes. Head is in perfect condition.

Also, look the blood trail in my avatar.
                      Last edited by Jared.King; 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Great heads IMO. All of you that don't like them; send all of them to me.

Comment

I really like the Grim Reapers when I shoot my compound. Top pic is a 3 blade razortip and next is a carnifour. Buck pictured was the carnifour. I rarely get a pass thru with the shot I take. Both bucks dropped inside 50 yards. My draw weight is 65#. I don't know how they would do if I ever hit the near shoulder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Reviving this for another round of thoughts.
                            I have taken a few more doe this season with the Carnifour. All of them hit the ground fast, but the last couple have made me nervous. The first was a steep quartering to shot, (I realize a lot of people don't like this angle, but I came in just behind the point of the shoulder and existed out deep rib. The uncomfortable part was that she was not a large doe and the arrow was mostly poking out the backside. I had expected to go completely out. 17-ish yards
                            The second was the reverse angle. Again a doe, but at 25 yards. Mid rib going in, and nothing came out the off side. The arrow stopped in the off-side shoulder and never broke the skin. She hit the ground within 40 yards so no worries there, but the nervous part for me is I again"expected" to get a pass through.
                            Neither of these two doe were exceptionally large, and the shots were, fortunately, well placed. I have my reserve about the penetration of a mature buck now. The first buck I killed with the carnifour was so close I did not think about penetration, but the last couple of deer now have me pondering the penetration ability. I am still shooting the Quest Rogue and somewhere close 70# by last check at bow shop.

If any of you are using the Carnifour this season please post results.

Comment

I'm giving them a shot changing up from my normal Grim Reaper Razortips this year. Seems the reviews are pretty dang good with the new silver spring and several you tube videos show good results. I have them and the Magnus Black Hornets in the quiver right now. Ramcat 125s are on stand by.

Comment

This will be my third year to shoot with this head. I shot an elk, hog and several deer with them. I have always had pass thru's when I should. It is a really tough head as most Grim Reapers are. I've sharpened and reused a lot of them except for a couple that hit a rock.

I do think this head is for higher Kinetic Energy shooters. I believe Grim Reaper suggests 65 foot pounds for the Whitetail Special. I would probably bump that up to at least 75 foot pound for the Carni 4 just to be safe. I would also make sure my bow is tuned for that arrow and head.

Comment

Working...
                                X