Brushy Hill Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

map

Anyone have some kind of map or drawing of the Wil Rehm pasture at Brushy Hill. It might give us a little help. Thanks

Comment

DWS call the ranch house they will send you one otherwise you will get one when you get there. Also I asked specific directions to the pasture I hunted and was able to find it on google maps and made myself a nice aerial photo to got with it.

Comment

thanks

Comment

there this past weekend

I just got back from Brushy Hills on Sunday. I Never saw horns. I saw hundreds of does and button bucks but never laid eyes on a buck not ever from a distance. This place has been way over hunted and they have a no doe policy that has allowed the doe population to get out of control. we stayed with 12 guys in our cabin not one got a deer. one of our guys got an opportunity at a nice deer but it was too close to 14" to gamble $500. Rusty the ranch manager is a hoot but other than that I felt I had wasted my money.

Comment

We just came back Monday from Brushy Hills we left after two days of hunting . Four of us were paid up for three days and two had paid for five days and we all left on day two . I agree with Douglas this has to be one of the most over hunted ranches in the state . None of our group seen anything even close to being 14 '' , most did not see a buck at all . I would not waste my time or money going there !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i was there when some of theses last nubbin's where leaving^. i saw 8 shooters in the first two evening hunts and one that kept coming up from behind me in the morning hunts on those two days. now most of the bucks where chasing does so i did not have good shots. the wind kinda messed up my spot worse than i thought it would on my third evening but nick saw a tall shooter 8. i drew on a huge 10 on my second evening but my mole skin on my rest slipped off and my arrow made a horrible "sccrraaatccchhhh". i could have shot atleast three deer over 120" and one of those being over 140" if i did not mess up. last night another guy shot a good bodied cull 6 that was sixteen inches wide and i would have guessed him around 150(ish) lbs. i drove around with rusty and saw some set ups of some hunters that are not exactly fans of brushy hill anymore. i will say this to any hunter who is going out there; this is a day lease. it is 140-150 dollars a day and has no guarantee of a kill. if you set up like its a family ranch with no pressure you will only see nubbin's and does with the occasional young buck roaming around. if the majority of your hunting is done vicariously through the green screen and not in the brush, you will most likely not see a shooter. you need to work hard to get a kill. the funny part is everyone who complains is the same one that think they are the best hunters ever and dont listen to any advise. they usually hunt one spot one day and then move to another if they dont shoot anything. deer are not tied to trees. if you want that, you dont go to a 150 a day, day lease. you go to a 1500+ a weekend, plus kill fees ranch to have more of a guarantee on your hunt.

i am in no way trying to insult anyone on here who is inexperienced at day leases. i am just letting the ones who would like a chance at a good, cheap deer know the "skinny". and with the exception of some high dollar leases and private ranches, there has not been a whole lot of bruiser bucks shot this season. we are in a drought. things change from year to year.

if anyone would like some pointers, feel free to ask on here or pm me.

lee b

Comment

What would your pointers be , maybe check the wind direction or check your equipment( such as your arrow rest) before you get to the stand .

Comment

Lonewolf, I guess you should have tied tree limbs to you and became "one of them". Pulled out some old stalking tricks from Vietnam!

Comment

I have hunted this ranch and its like any day lease. Its a hard hunt but if you do it right and get a little lucky you can kill a big deer.

Comment

2 days is not enough time to hunt a day lease and make a judgement call on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
                        What would your pointers be , maybe check the wind direction or check your equipment( such as your arrow rest) before you get to the stand .
                        well that would be one pointer. that, or know how to hunt. either way. and yes, every pasture has a deer in it. just because some bad hunters cant find them does not mean they are not there. . again, its a day lease. not the holiday inn that ties a deer to a tree for bad hunters. i might be a bad killer, but i sure can see good deer. personally i would rather be a good hunter any day. and for that matter at least i really hunt. save your money for a penned in kill. that is obviously all some sorry "hunters" want out of this sport
                        Last edited by leebtattoos; 12-12-2008, 03:24 AM.

Comment

I know that you and Rusty are good friends and you have alot of ties to Brushy hills. I am in no way saying that there are no deer on that ranch. I happen to have had a great time with Rusty and tink he is a great guy. This was my first time at Brushy hills and I could only get a two day hunt ( that is all they had available). So I paid Rusty $500 for 5 hunters to get stands set up by someone who knows the ranch and he set all of us up on the corn route so I took the word from your friend that lthat was the place to hunt. so before you start badmouthing people hunting the corn route you might want to think about that.

Comment

i am sorry. i really need to install a breathalizer on my computer. you are right in that i should not badmouth anyone. i just got heated because they are my friends and i dont like seeing any bad things about them. yall are obviously entitled to your opinions. my bad. i will just leave it with you have your review and i have mine. they differ and that is fine. sorry you did not see the deer you wanted.

lee b

Comment

I have hunted there the past couple of years and have not had a shot at a good buck, but I know they're there. Every trip down I change my strategy and scout new areas for "next time". My buddy that has hunted out there for a long time stuck his first deer last year. Thats what I like about it, its a challenge. What better way to test your skills than to go up against the smartest deer in Texas. If you hunt for 4-5 days your out 500-600 bucks. Thats a fourth of what a south Texas lease would cost you. The stories told and the experience gained are worth that. This place ,or any other day lease for that matter, isn't for every hunter. If you go there your first time and expect to kill a see/kill a buck than your mistaken. Alot of the hunters who have success on these ranches are repeat customers that return year after year, with multiple trips every year. My advise is to get an aerial map find 2-3 spots that look good and set up your own corn route, set up cameras, multiple blinds for different winds, and plan on taking 20-30 yard shots through one opening in the brush thats only 12" wide, because thats what its going to take. Try it again, you'll be a better hunter from the experience. I know I am!

Comment

I've been bowhunting 20+ years , killed many whitetail I don't know exactly how many my profile picture has the buck I killed this year , 3 mule deer , 2 turkeys , many hogs . I have been on day lease for the past 15 years and Brushy Hill was the most I've ever paid . I have hunted ever where I could including the national forest in East Texas and Colorado . I'm not looking for a canned hunt and maybe just we got a bad pasture (west river) , I know little deer make little tracks , big deer make big ones and if thier nocturnal they still leave tracks . We seen (1) track I would consider large . Also the west river pasture according to the map we were given looks to be between 160 and 200 acres notenough for 6 hunters . In two days of hunting from 6 hunters only 2 bucks were seen that wasn't a spike and they were more like 10'' wide deer, that was covering almost the whole pasture one of the guys offered to pay Rusty a $100.00 to set his wife up on a shooter and he never came by to do it . I''m not trying to get a dig in because I didn't see a buck , I wish someone had told me before I sent in a deposit , I have a friend that is an excellant hunter that went to the west river pasture in November and he told me what to expect after he got back , thier group had the same results we did , no shooters seen .

Comment

Working...
                                X