Gun safe opinions? Brands and models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
    Jmeg what sold you on Dakota? I've seen them before on the internet. Never in person

Same thing to you BT?
    Of all the safes (security containers ) in my budget Dakota was the strongest one. They are not very well known but they go the extra mile to keep the door from being pried open. Customer service was great too. The warehouse in OK shipped a safe that was a 2016 model and I ordered the 2017 model. There wasn't much difference in them at all. The owner of Dakota knocked a significant amount off the price because I agreed to take the older one. I've been very happy with it.

PS: There was a burglary in the town next to me. The owner had a Dakota safe and the bad guys never got into it. The safe was ruined and had to be replaced because of their efforts but the victim still had all his stuff.

Also watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LgKThatkjM
    Last edited by jmeghunts; 01-23-2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

We have a Diamondback safe. 10 gauge walls, eleven 1.5 inch bolts, and good fire and water protection. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
        Jmeg what sold you on Dakota? I've seen them before on the internet. Never in person

Same thing to you BT?
        All things considered I felt the Superior was the best value for my needs.

Door was heavier, side material was as thick as any of the others, door is "stepped" which helps prevent prying, I could get a dial lock instead of keypad, interior layout and the quality of the craftsmanship.

I suggest you look at as many as you can and narrow your top picks down.

For example I had one that I could only get by freight, after a little digging I found out they were made in China

Found another brand I liked the looks of, after putting my eyes on one in person I decided it was not worth the money for something that looked good but a teenage kid could probably defeat

Mine is a security container , could not afford a true safe but figure this will discourage or at least slow a thief way down.

Comment

I went with the Liberty Presidential 50 I think it was around $6,900.00 including installation. This thing is a beast

Comment

I have a Liberty Fatboy Jr and have been happy with it. That being said, I will be having a room built with a safe door installed when I build my next house since I wont be leaving that house.

Comment

Liberty Fatboy was the best balance of capacity, construction, cost, and fire protection for me. I had it installed in a closet where there isn’t much room to get at it with a pry bar. Also have it bolted to the floor.

I think the Colonial is the same width but taller. I think it is basically the same safe but with less fire protection. If you plan to store more than just rifles you might like the extra height and shelf on the Colonial.

I have all my pistols in the door pockets of my Fatboy and my revolvers in a pistol rack on the top shelf. With the cutouts in the shelf for the shotguns it doesn’t leave much additional room. Just think about how you will use it in determining which size to get.

Comment

buy the biggest safe you can afford, it doesn't take many long guns before they're stacked on each other.

Comment

Gdawg if it floods where I am I need a ark. But good info tor others

Thanks for the responses guys. I've seen the fat boys. They're nice. Looked at the champions last night and need to look at the dakotas. I'm fine buying from a small company. I used to have some paperwork for one but have lost it. Think they were made in Houston. May be wrong on that

Comment

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
                    Pleased w American Security- amsec. I would find one whose warranty covers floods however - amsec's doesn't
                    Seems like there was a thread about Cannon safes (i think) that mentioned them taking care of all the flood victims no questions. I could be wrong...again... but that's pretty cool. Dunno nada about the quality of the safe itself. Seem like pretty good ones tho.

Comment

Probably already been said but however many guns they say it holds, divide that number in half for real world application.

Comment

Went and looked at Kodak yesterday, big r had them, and a liberty patriot.

Not to impressed with the liberty fit and finish. The Kodak was nice and I've seen the companies other safes.

Gonna head to cabelas today, anyone have one of their safes

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                          Seems like there was a thread about Cannon safes (i think) that mentioned them taking care of all the flood victims no questions. I could be wrong...again... but that's pretty cool. Dunno nada about the quality of the safe itself. Seem like pretty good ones tho.
                          Cannon for their customer service. I lost mine because of Harvey. They sent me a new one for free. Can’t beat that!

Comment

I am a Cannon guy as well!

Comment

Ok so cannon was on the bottom of my list for no real reason. Guess I will need to look into them.

Comment

There was some threads on here about Cannons great customer service. Reaching out to customers after Harvey and sending them new safes even without the customer filing a claim. Thats awsome service when a company seeks you out to give you a warranty.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Working...
                                X