No announcement yet.

Best Factory 308 Hunting Load for a Remington SPS Tactical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best I was able to get with factory rounds (tried several) was 0.9" using Hornady 110 grain TAP (this is through an AAC with 1/10 twist barrel). I'm shooting handloads now (178 AMAX and 168 Berger Classic Hunter) and getting sub 0.5". Trying our some Berger 185's this week.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
      I've been looking for those, have yet to find any in stock.
      Found these loaded with 165gr game kings but don't have any experience with them.
      Australian Outback 308 Winchester (7.62X51) ammo for sale at AmmoToGo.com - Don't miss these 20 round packs of 165 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail ammunition in-stock now.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        I have heard this but have had great luck with them. Have shot whitetail, blackbuck, sika, and an oryx with them and all either dropped in their tracks or within 15 yards of where they were shot.
        It is good that you haven't had any issues. After having the problem I went to the Sierra website and they state that Match Kings are not recommended for hunting. here is a link. (read the last sentence of the description)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          I have heard this but have had great luck with them. Have shot whitetail, blackbuck, sika, and an oryx with them and all either dropped in their tracks or within 15 yards of where they were shot.
          Shot about a dozen deer with the Match Kings. When they work. They work great. Bang flop. Yeah! High Five. Eventually you'll have one where the tiny hollow point pinches shut and the bullet doesn't expand at all. The result is a LONG tracking job on a thin blood trail and the deer looks like it was stabbed with an icepick. Been there done that a couple times. Never lost a deer using them but had a couple 200 yard very sparse bloodtrails. I agree they are scary accurate and also agree there are better bullets for hunting.

The Federal 165 Sierra game kings are a different story. About perfect for deer in the 308Win. Really accurate. Really hammer deer. Really like them.

Comment

I used to have the same gun and it loved federal blue box 150 grain soft points($19.99). I killed several pigs and a mature 8pt with them.
            Of all the ammo I tried, it would shoot them into the same size groupings and Federal GMM 168 BTHP ($34.99).

Major terminal damage on all animals. All one shot kills. The only thing that ran was the buck and he only made it a few yards.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRU View Post
              Let me start by saying I know every gun is different. I know what shoots in one may not shoot in another. So with that being said, what have you guys found shoots good out of your guns? I rarely hunt with this gun, but would like to find a good hunting load in case I want to bring it. I have already tried some cheap federal fusions and some Barnes vortex 165 grns. Neither shot to my liking.
              Fed Prem Nosler Partition

Comment

Barnes TTSX and Black Hills have worked well for me

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  Fed Prem Nosler Partition
                  Hard to beat this for a factory load. The partition has the best of both worlds IMO. Expands fast and keeps the back end intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Matteo View Post
                    Found these loaded with 165gr game kings but don't have any experience with them.
                    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...ducts_id/10279
                    That's the same bullet that is in the Federals. I've been curious as to how these perform. I found a couple of boxes of the Federal at Carter's Country here in Houston abouth a month ago. You might call them and see if any of the stores have any left. I will swear by that bullet out of my gun.

Comment

I know they say its not a hunting bullet but my 308 loves Hornady 168gr match and I have killed 12 deer, countless pigs, and a few predators with it. No problems so far but when I start reloading I plan to switch to game kings.

Comment

Core Lokt 150's- - THE ONLY FACTORY ROUND my SPS would shoot worth a toot and I spent a small fortune trying to find the magic bullet to make it run better (including some 165's). I ended up selling that gun but did drop several deer and a nice Axis with that round.

Hornady custom in 150 btsp- a fancier bullet that groups well in my .308's- this is what I handload.

Winchester ballistic tip- pricier for stock ammo but also grouped well. (the best for the factory stuff I tired).

The one bullet not to waste your money on IMHO- Hornady superperformance SST's. I tried several boxes in both the 150's and 165's and they proved to be a total waste of money. They would string up & down on paper. Must be something with the powder.
                        This was in 3 different .308's.

Comment

Thanks for posting. Glad I found this thread cause I just picked up this rifle this week. Just mounted the scope last night. Hopefully will try some of the suggestions next week...hope it shoots as good as it looks. Gonna be my go to hog gun if all works out well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X