No announcement yet.

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all you guys saying anything in a short action even the 6.5 Creed which seems to be other-worldly, I can't see it.

They will all punch paper much farther than that.

I'm shooting a very high BC 168 grain 7 mag at 3050 fps and consider 7-800 yards it's absolute max. Reason being-Impact velocity. Most bullet manufacture's list 1800 fps as their minimum velocity for reliable expansion...there's no way you can convince me of a 6.5 creed maintaining this...

But what do I know, I've never shot an animal beyond 450...

Additionally, I agree with a post above, you need a .5 MOA rifle out to expected distance and high quality glass to repeatedly do it.

Comment

Carrying or truck gun?

Personally, the Ruger Gunsite Scout looks like one helluva hog gun to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
        7mm ultramag
        x2

Comment

Have you ever shot 700 yards? Your mentioning guns that would be some of the absolute worst choices if somebody wanted to shoot 700 yards.

Also what's your budget? An ar in 308 is way different price range than the other guns you are mentioning.

Comment

Ruger American or Mossberg Patriot in either 30-06 or .308 will so the job! but I hear that 30-07 is a stomper! hehe

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

I've shot 500 yds prone with iron sights in the Corps with the M16A1.

The bulk of my shots should 200 or less.
              We have one setup on the lease that's 650 yds from camp. Thought it'd be cool to sit in camp and lay waste to some pigs at 0300 I'm my pajamas.

The lease mgr used to build and shoot long range guns.
              Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

M&p 10 .308

Comment

Found a new Remington 700 in 7mm mag with a 26" barrel for $377 with a cheap 3-9 scope
                  Would this work

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                    Found a new Remington 700 in 7mm mag with a 26" barrel for $377 with a cheap 3-9 scope
                    Would this work
                    Just remember in a light, standard style 700, that 7mag is gonna hit you hard. I had one in a heavy stainless ruger hawkeye and it was hard on the body. Needless to say I got rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                      Just remember in a light, standard style 700, that 7mag is gonna hit you hard. I had one in a heavy stainless ruger hawkeye and it was hard on the body. Needless to say I got rid of it.

I've heard the same about the .300 win mag

Comment

Go with the 300WSM, it's not that bad to shoot.

Chris

Comment

Anything 6.5 - 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5-284, .260 Rem, etc. It's a pleasure to shoot all day long, high BC, 140gr is plenty for anything in TX and it's winning more LR competitions than any other caliber.

The Savage Predator model is capable of more than you're asking for, right out of the box.

Comment

I wonder if this will work ;-))

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Savage axis in 25-06 and then spend 3x the cost on glass.

Comment

300 winmag

Comment

Working...
                                X