Diy jig skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diy jig skirts

I wanted to start making my own jigs and colors and it's cheaper to make them than buy them. Buying one cost about $4-$5 but making one cost about $1.50.

It's a little pricey to start but pays off relatively quickly if you jig fish a lot and lose baits.

It cost $15 for the tool
    I think $2 for 100 collars
    And skirt pricing varies but I bought 100 skirts for $17

And it's something you can do while watching TV!

First thing to do is put a collar on the pointed side of the tool and work it down onto the straw side. This will allow you to place the collar on the middle(or whever you want to put it) of the skirting.
    Attached Files

Comment

Dang this phone....
      Attached Files

Comment

This tool has a hook on the back end where I can hook the skirting material on and pull it through the straw. I use at least 3 skirting pieces, it seems to be the best for color variation, as well as not too much, and not too little.

Comment

Then you just pull it through until half the skirt is hanging out, then roll the collar onto the skirt.
          Attached Files

Comment

Then cut the tabbed ends of the skirt off and then you have to yourself a custom skirt for jigs or spinnerbaits! Super easy! I had no idea it was that easy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's a few I made up in about 5 minutes.
              Attached Files

Comment

Are you going to sell, they look great!

Comment

We do the same thing. Don't take long and you have more then you will ever use Where do you buy your skirt material ? We use tackle warehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by austin.28 View Post
                    Are you going to sell, they look great!
                    Yeah I think I want to sell some. Just haven't figured out how I want to price them.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                      We do the same thing. Don't take long and you have more then you will ever use Where do you buy your skirt material ? We use tackle warehouse.
                      So I bought a randomized 100 skirt count from jannsnetcraft. That seemed to be the cheapest and I wanted to have a lot of color variations to make my own different color schemes. I've made 14 color schemes so far and still have a lot left to go. I'm going to make a spreadsheet of all the colors and what skirt color combos I used and what will seem to work.

I'm going to try to create some combos for saltwater shrimp jigs and see if they are any more effective.

Comment

I've been thinking about doing the same.

Did you get all of your stuff from janns?

Comment

That nice work, I am a sucker for jig

Comment

Working...
                          X