• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
    Nose to base of tail.

Mylanta that's a big ol coon!

Comment

I had decent luck last year with a couple different baits/lures what do you guys use in dirt holes as far as baits for yotes and foxes and also cats. thanks for any input.

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
        Drags are my go to also, but you'd be surprised at how many times staking is the better choice, like a 4 way intersection in the middle of a cotton field, trust me following drag marks several hundred yards across a field just find out a Coyote changed its mind and went several hundred more yards to the field edge sucks, plus eats up precious time.
        Bagley goes and finds them for me
        This fox had made it across the pasture but hung up in the fence.
        I would have turned it loose but it had broke its leg.
        I'm just after the coyotes and bobcats
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	24421001

Comment

Originally posted by CEpperson View Post
          I had decent luck last year with a couple different baits/lures what do you guys use in dirt holes as far as baits for yotes and foxes and also cats. thanks for any input.

Clay
          I have been using O Gormans paste

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/O'Go...te+Bait+(16+oz.)

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

It's funny that's what you have been using. I have tried an tried that bait and the last coyote I caught that is the bait I used. I have been trying it for 3 years. But ogormans makes a great bait

Comment

Made a few sets this weekend in freer, some foot traps and I hung some birds from a limb in hopes of catching a coyote or bobcat, drove by one yesterday and my bird had been eaten on the ground and no traps were sprung, would a cara cara do that? My other set too had its bird eaten. Thinking about hanging just a turkey feather or something like that for a coyote or bobcat? Any ideas? Also want to trap a badger, and ideas? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

Thanks Buff

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by sundownbrown View Post
                  Made a few sets this weekend in freer, some foot traps and I hung some birds from a limb in hopes of catching a coyote or bobcat, drove by one yesterday and my bird had been eaten on the ground and no traps were sprung, would a cara cara do that? My other set too had its bird eaten. Thinking about hanging just a turkey feather or something like that for a coyote or bobcat? Any ideas? Also want to trap a badger, and ideas? Thanks
                  There's no way for any of us to know! How high was bird-distance from pan-what kind of backing at set-was bird your only bait?

A bird hanging is bait not an attractor, you only want to hang an attractor to pull a cat from distance to put him in sight of and downwind to your baited set. Exposed bait such as a hanging bird, piece of meat opens an oppurtunity to catch buzzards and such.

Comment

Gotcha, I hung the bird about 5 feet over the trap and I also used some coyote lure down by the traps, I

Comment

Put out two sets Sat evening and had this male yote this morning...
                      Attached Files

Comment

you can see in the pic why I have no problem with drags.... I do agree that sometimes staking is better because of location. Also you have a hot catch circle to reset on with stakes...

Comment

I'm with you yanta the whole reason I'm sold on drags. I'll find a place to setup to use my drafs

Comment

That is awesome, we used to have a place in beeville right off 59 by the media creek, used to trap tons of coons, then my grandpa sold the ranch, I wanted to commit suicide, lol

Comment

Be careful with using birds for bait or attractor, don't use any songbirds and even using exotic species will attract hawks and owls.

Some of the best non-commercial bait I ever used was ground deer liver mixed with flour or egg, deer brains and egg, rotted gar meat and plain old hamburger and egg mixed to a paste.

Some of my favorite commercial baits are Mast #5 or #6, Carmen's canine call and Pro Choice. Taking the last couple inches of large intestine to the **** opening on coyotes or bobcats is great along with draining the urine out of one if possible. Using those on another tract off land where the coyote or cat wasn't caught, brings a lot of interest by those species thinking of an intruder on their home range.

Yep, I feel in love with drags when I became a government coyote trapper back in the early 80's. Sure kept the set undisturbed and the animal was able to go a ways and get hung up. That's if you had enough structure for one to do so, but sometimes you just can't figure them out. They'll take off across a pasture or field and right behind the trap site is covered with thick growth. I learned the hard way to always stake a trap unless I can hook or toss the drag into the brush and count on them being there in the morning.

Good Luck
                              Last edited by ground level; 12-21-2015, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Which are better for coyotes, foot traps with offset jaws or traps with normal jaws? Are they both legal?

Comment

Working...
                                X