• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Probably the best thread on TBH

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually based my food plots off el gatos at the ranch I take care off and my boss loves them haha. So thanks for that

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        Probably the best thread on TBH
        I would have to agree!

Most beneficial to people like us who like to manage deer, grow deer, and do our best to help feed the deer

Comment

Gentlemen,

I'm not quite sure what to say. Thanks for your comments.I've tried to let this thread die a couple of times but it seems to have a life of its own. When I started it the goal was simply to follow activities thru the year on the farm. Stuff we do that might make sense or be interesting to others. While it does evolve over time the basic principles stay the same.And here we are 4 years later. Never dreamed it would still be going.

So Marko , looks like I named it incorrectly from the very beginning. Not only the title but ranch stuff has creeped in as well . While the management principles are the same ranch or farm there is more variety I can do on the farm thus more to report.

So, unless the mods take umbrage with a misleading title , I'll try to do more this year to report on specific activities and ideas we will be exploring for the new year.Welcome to:

A Year in the Life of a Farm 2018.

Comment

Best news I have heard all day! Been reading this for a couple years, thanks a lot for sharing. There is something just about anyone can take away from this thread no matter how knowledgeable or experienced. Thanks for letting us learn lessons from your experiences so hopefully we can avoid some costly mistakes.

Comment

Accepting the above, deer season is over. We just returned from the ranch bringing home trucks, guns gear and all the stuff collected from a long season.

The deer on the farm are dropping sheds and I took the A team out hunting. Fun for everybody.

The heavy shed we found yesterday is from last year. Think the buck is 9 or 10 and we've been after him fro the last 3 years...unsuccessfully.

The 8 with forks was a bit over 160"

Will be out looking hard this week.
              Attached Files

Comment

By far my favorite thread of any forum! I look forward to your updates Rusty! Thanks for keeping this going!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ethic1 View Post
                  By far my favorite thread of any forum! I look forward to your updates Rusty! Thanks for keeping this going!!!!

X2

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you Rusty. dad and i were driving around here in East tx last week and he was talking about how he wished for a large chunk of this area to control the hunting on and how he bet with the proper age and nutrition, we could grow World class deer.

I told him about this Rusty guy that had the same woods and deer...

Comment

Lots happening on the farm now. I just spread 100 lbs of magnesium sulfate on the fruit orchards scattered around the farm. May be an old wives tale but supposedly that makes fruit sweeter.At a couple cups per tree I realized how many trees I have.

Of course, had to plant a few more apple trees, thornless blackberries and blueberry bushes. Had to!

We are putting out minerals next week. I use Redmund #10 fine. Same as trophy rock but cheaper. No pic of a deer on it. I pour a pile at every feeder. Don't know if it does any good but deer use it and makes me feel like I did something.

All the rain lately has a portion of the farm under water. Flooding seems to be the new normal. As soon as the water recedes we will be putting out feed with wormer. I wait till all the feeders are completely empty. Then fill about half full. Will not refill until all empty again. With Safeguard mixed in the feed is expensive ! I want it all used up before diluted with new feed.

Just welded up a jig where we can run the roller crimper on the front end loader allowing us to run the planter on back at same time.Will allow for one trip thru the field to crimp and plant at the same time. IS an experiment....more to follow.

All the rain has made travel on the farm tricky and with flooding we are cut off from portions compromising shed hunting .Did manage to find this one though. G3 at the kicker is broken off.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Love the info. And the detail you put into it.

Keep it up.

Do you grain drill your peas? When do you plant?

Comment

Awesome stuff....as usual Rusty!

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            Love the info. And the detail you put into it.

Keep it up.

Do you grain drill your peas? When do you plant?
                            I no till drill everything. Generally plant summer crops some time in April. Depends on weather and how wet fields are. For mixes including sun hemp I don’t mind waiting till a little later. It loves heat and dry. Grows really fast too.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              Found these today. 3 yr old
                              IDK how I missed this thread over the years, but I'm caught up. Just wondering have you seen this deer since?

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
                                IDK how I missed this thread over the years, but I'm caught up. Just wondering have you seen this deer since?
                                Hmm? without going back thru the thread I'm not sure which 3 yr old you are referring to? Which post?

Comment

Working...
                                X