Need tornado shelter recommendations – Dallas area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need tornado shelter recommendations – Dallas area

Wife wants a tornado shelter (preferably underground, flush, in the garage) for a Christmas present. Anyone have any recommendations of a DFW company?
    Any good/bad experiences?

I spoke with one guy that does this already (that was local) and he said there were issues installing those kinds of shelters in homes with post-tension slabs and North Texas shifting soils/ground. Wasn’t sure if that was accurate or if the guy was just trying to push the above ground shelter option.

Post tension is a factor. You do not want to cut a cable either on purpose or by accident.

Do you know if your foundation is post tension or are you unsure?

Underground outside is another option.

I do not know anyone that does this.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
      Post tension is a factor. You do not want to cut a cable either on purpose or by accident.

Do you know if your foundation is post tension or are you unsure?

Underground outside is another option.

I do not know anyone that does this.
      Yeah - My slab is post-tension.
      I'd prefer it be inside my garage so we wouldn't have to go outside to get in it.

Comment

The only thing I would say to that is that if the shelter is inside the house, the house
        could, in theory collapse in on the top of the shelter and trap you in there. In an F-1, most of the house. trees etc stay in the area as opposed to an F-5 that removes everything.

Of course, a shelter that is outside could have debris land on the hatch as well. Just something to consider.

Comment

When we are going to penetrate a post tension slab or deck we get it x ray or scanned to locate the cables. They might be far enough apart to allow for the access into the shelter.

Need to do this before you make a final decision.

Comment

I would like to have a shelter underground that would double as a gun safe or reloading room or something. Dual purpose

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
              I would like to have a shelter underground that would double as a gun safe or reloading room or something. Dual purpose

Just happened to see this today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've seen these at Lowes recently

Comment

Native Storm Shelters is where we, and a few other people in our neighborhood, got theirs. All very happy and no problems. Its above ground, but they also do in floor. To answer an earlier comment, you should have your shelter registered with local FD, FEMA, and of course family knows. That way someone will check on you

Comment

Pm bloodspiller on here...he is one of the main guys for "Rising S Bunkers"....they do amazing work and know what they are doing...they will build you exactly what you want...they are out of Kaufman county also

Comment

Thanks all. Had my my first guy out to give me a quote. He really wanted me to do an above ground shelter on a slab they would need to pour, just outside of my house and I don't like that plan at all. Need to find someone to do the underground, in the garage option.

Comment

Coon, I have just spent a week in Sedalia Missouri with my cousins hunting deer. Every one has a basement that is their shelter but things are changing. I was told after the Joplin tornado, developers are now putting in a 10 X 10 concrete reinforced room in the basement on new homes. The heavy metal door swings in, not out, and you lock it on the inside with a slide hinge. I think this is a brilliant idea. I am told a slow moving F5 can suck everyone out of the basement.
                        Last edited by John_b; 12-03-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I'm right down the road from you. I had a above ground one installed in my garage. Let me know if you want any more info.

Comment

Hi Coon,
                            I know you are looking for a "in-house" shelter, but I've been told that drilling holes or cutting the slab will void your warranty. Check out our shelters. We produce and install the TornadoPod (www.tornadopod.com). It takes up a 6x6 spot in your back or side yard and will hold 6-7 adults. It can be painted any color or wrapped in camo. We've been certified by the American Tornado Shelter Association and meet all the FEMA criteria. More information and videos can be seen at www.facebook.com/tornadopod.

Comment

I remember a tornado that hit Dallas/Farmersbranch back in 1976 or '77. Buddy and I went to look at the damage the following day. It had crossed a field after touching an apartment complex. In that field was a 5 foot trench that it left before hitting a Baptist church on the other side.

Comment

Working...
                              X