No announcement yet.

Maybe a 155 grain 6.5 Berger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about building a 6.5saum now. If I do, I'm serious thinking about building it to shoot these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      The berger 130gr offerings work quite well in the Grendel loaded with CFE223 or Leverevolution powder, as does the 129gr Nosler accubond longrange. That is actually a Grendel in my avatar photo. Accuracy wise it loves both the bullets pushed by CFE223 as does my AR

Yep being limited to mag length kinda sucks.

I have some 129ABLRs loaded for my Grendel as well as some of the 135 Classic Hunters.

I suspect the ABLR is going to be a winner given the lower velocity expansion threshold.

I'll try the 155 Bergers in my 6.5-284. Be interested to see where the BC falls out at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
        I'm thinking about building a 6.5saum now. If I do, I'm serious thinking about building it to shoot these.

Why not build a 264 Win Mag? I know, and agree the SAUM is a very efficient round but brass ain't easy to come by. You can neck 7 Mag brass down all day with one pass to get brass for the 264 Win mag. With a 26" barrel I'm running 140 grain bergers at 3230fps with .247 groups. Pretty hard to beat in my opinion. Just imagine what 155 grains is gunna do!

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
          Why not build a 264 Win Mag? I know, and agree the SAUM is a very efficient round but brass ain't easy to come by. You can neck 7 Mag brass down all day with one pass to get brass for the 264 Win mag. With a 26" barrel I'm running 140 grain bergers at 3230fps with .247 groups. Pretty hard to beat in my opinion. Just imagine what 155 grains is gunna do!
          Barrel life. However, I'd be curious to see how a 264 with a bore rider throats would do vs the saum

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Barrel life. However, I'd be curious to see how a 264 with a bore rider throats would do vs the saum
            Barrels are like tires

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
              Barrels are like tires
              Except proof barrels haha

Comment

Except proof barrels haha
                Now we're talkin haha

Comment

The barrel that was chambered in 264 win mag bore rider would shoot out faster. The cartridge is already hard on barrels and removing even more metal from the barrel will shorten its life even more. Many people are experiencing significantly shortened barrel life's when chambered with a bore rider reamer.

Comment

Makes it difficult to chase the lands as the bore erodes, if it starts long anyway. But I have seen many Weatherby rifles shoot great with 1/4 inch or so free bore.

They make barrels while we sleep

Comment

It will be interesting to see the specs on this. I shoot a .260, so won't be able to maximize the performance of this bullet by a long shot. Might be an excuse to buy the 6.5x284 or 6.5 SAUM!

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
                        The barrel that was chambered in 264 win mag bore rider would shoot out faster. The cartridge is already hard on barrels and removing even more metal from the barrel will shorten its life even more. Many people are experiencing significantly shortened barrel life's when chambered with a bore rider reamer.
                        False. The designs creates lower chamber pressure. Reducing fire cracking and throat errosion. If someone had it otherwise then they didn't do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post

Heck I'm building my to be optimized for 140s on the heavy end. This makes a 26 nosler look pretty awesome though. It's hard with saum to beat 130s unless you're going past 1000

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            Heck I'm building my to be optimized for 140s on the heavy end. This makes a 26 nosler look pretty awesome though. It's hard with saum to beat 130s unless you're going past 1000

What FB are you going with?

Comment

False. The designs creates lower chamber pressure. Reducing fire cracking and throat errosion. If someone had it otherwise then they didn't do it right.
                              I don't disagree with you that chamber pressures will be less with identical loads. But to make the blanket statement that what I said was false, is well, false.

Not saying this is the case with you, but it seems many love this chambering because they can get extra velocity before hitting max pressure. With that being said, they still like getting to that edge of max pressure that would be experienced in a saami chamber while obtaining the higher velocity afforded by the bore rider reamer. I believe this is why people are reporting that they are shooting out their bore rider chambered barrels faster than a conventionally chambered barrel.

If the two chambers are run at identical pressure, the barrel that does not have the step will last longer. If a taper is cut into the rifling and run at an identical pressure there is no way that the throat will hold up as well as the conventional clambering without the lengthened taper. It would defy physics if the tapered throat held up as well as a not tapered throat at identical pressures.

Another point of consideration is even if you run a lower chamber pressure in a bore rider clambering there is less metal in the throat to erode.... so you may have less pressure and less "true throat erosion" but you are starting off with significantly less metal from the time the rifle is chambered which means the tapered area will become freebore without as much true erosion. Real world testing provides the answer if that occurs first in a bore rider clambering or a saami clambering.

I look forward to hearing how your gun performs in the long run and how the barrel holds up.

Comment

It's been shown on over a dozen rifles at least from mine and folks I know. They have lasted a lot longer. 28 nosler shooting the same as new with 900 rounds on it was reported from a friend of mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X