Concho County 8, worst shot ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concho County 8, worst shot ever!

Saturday evening this big 8 shows up, first deer seen at a feeder all weekend. I knew him from pictures as a target buck for us. I let him settle and draw, he looks up but not towards me. 20 yard pin just behind his elbow thing and let it fly. I don’t have a clue what happened after that. He jumps up (very high) and lands on his side hard, flops around for a second and gets up and wobbles off, not running just kinda trotting. That would be when I see what looks like half his guts hanging out both sides, back by his rear legs. Good grief he was perfectly broadside. He staggers off and I almost got another arrow in him before he goes into brush. I can see him about 50 yards in thick brush and he makes a circle as if to lay down. Can’t see him after that. I sneak out and go to camp till 10. Didn’t want to leave him to spoil and we have Chloe, she will bay up a deer. She trails him for what seemed like a half mile or so then found a skunk. If it’s alive she wants to kill it. That was the end of the trailing for that night. Next morning we hit the trail and she is going pretty good. Very few blood spots on entire trail, prolly plent of something green to smell though. Found a lot of intestines also. Then she found a porcupine. Did I mention if it’s alive she wants it dead? We she didn’t get it to bad before I got her off it, pulled some quils and put her back on the trail. She made short work of the rest of trail and finds him. We elected not to try and salvage the meat, it had been dead to long and it was to hot. That is the worst part. But taxi said the cape will be ok. And he has a beautiful light color cape. As for the shot I don’t have a clue what happened. Really nothing to hit with arrow on way to deer. If his head would have been on other end it would have been a perfect shot!! Taxi aged him at 6.5 years old. 19” inside, 5” bases and carries good mass. Even though all the BS I am still very happy with this deer. Thanks to my wife Tracy and my lease members for following me around for what seemed like miles in search of my deer. And especially grateful for our 9 year old lacy dog Chloe. Wouldn’t have stood a chance at finding this deer without her.
    Attached Files

Great deer and congrats to Chloe!

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
      Saturday evening this big 8 shows up, first deer seen at a feeder all weekend. I knew him from pictures as a target buck for us. I let him settle and draw, he looks up but not towards me. 20 yard pin just behind his elbow thing and let it fly. I don’t have a clue what happened after that. He jumps up (very high) and lands on his side hard, flops around for a second and gets up and wobbles off, not running just kinda trotting. That would be when I see what looks like half his guts hanging out both sides, back by his rear legs. Good grief he was perfectly broadside. He staggers off and I almost got another arrow in him before he goes into brush. I can see him about 50 yards in thick brush and he makes a circle as if to lay down. Can’t see him after that. I sneak out and go to camp till 10. Didn’t want to leave him to spoil and we have Chloe, she will bay up a deer. She trails him for what seemed like a half mile or so then found a skunk. If it’s alive she wants to kill it. That was the end of the trailing for that night. Next morning we hit the trail and she is going pretty good. Very few blood spots on entire trail, prolly plent of something green to smell though. Found a lot of intestines also. Then she found a porcupine. Did I mention if it’s alive she wants it dead? We she didn’t get it to bad before I got her off it, pulled some quils and put her back on the trail. She made short work of the rest of trail and finds him. We elected not to try and salvage the meat, it had been dead to long and it was to hot. That is the worst part. But taxi said the cape will be ok. And he has a beautiful light color cape. As for the shot I don’t have a clue what happened. Really nothing to hit with arrow on way to deer. If his head would have been on other end it would have been a perfect shot!! Taxi aged him at 6.5 years old. 19” inside, 5” bases and carries good mass. Even though all the BS I am still very happy with this deer. Thanks to my wife Tracy and my lease members for following me around for what seemed like miles in search of my deer. And especially grateful for our 9 year old lacy dog Chloe. Wouldn’t have stood a chance at finding this deer without her.
      Love a good Lacy story. Congrats

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Buck Rex. Glad you were able to recover him.

Comment

Good looking deer

Comment

Nice buck!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Heck of an 8pt! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome buck!