New lease and rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lease and rules

A buddy of mine is on a lease 28 miles SE of Ozona. He called me last week and said they had 2 spots open and asked if I might be interested. I love that part of the world and I know they shoot some decent bucks. Here are some of the rules and some I have had in the past and some are new to me:

8 spots at 2300 a gun. The lease boss seemed honest and said the other 7 hunters pay his spot which he figures in to the total for him taking care of the place.

Each hunter has approx 400 acres to himself, one feeder one blind, must feed protein March to August.

Bow hunting allowed, most are rifle hunters. But October till the end of the regular season. Off season only to feed, no turkey hunting and night hunting.

Community blinds. If you are there then your spot is your spot. If you are not there then others can hunt it and take what they want.

Immediate family can hunt off your allotment (5 deer county). 2 of the guys have their sons hunting with them that do not live in the household. The lease boss has a 23 yr old that goes to ASU (and works) and another son who lives in the area. Another lease guy has his BIL that joins him all the time. They are pretty much regulars on any given weekend. 2 spots are paid for and the lease boss also had a kid in HS that goes out at times. So a total of 6 off 2 paid spots.

I asked my buddy how he felt about community blinds and he said he was ok with it but took some getting use to. My other hang up was 3 adult males not living in the household but sharing spots with two paid hunters.

Maybe it's the norm now a days but it sure seems the 2 paying spots are getting a heck of a deal with grown men. Not sure about community blinds either. Most places are individual and no one else can hunt it.

So is this the norm? BTW I told him no thanks. I can somewhat see why 2 spots opened up.

Sounds like its not the lease for you and dont force it to be.

Comment

Sharing a spot is objectional but not a deal breaker, but the lease manager sharing his no cash spot is a deal breaker.

Comment

Depends on what you are looking for. My last lease was like that. Take whoever you want. Didn't bother me.

Comment

I think you made a wise choice! The Lease Boss might have the appearance of being honest, but with everything he is getting and doing for not having to pay a lease fee is just scratching the surface with regards to his activities on the place.

Comment

So between the lease manager and his buddy, they cover all the blinds when no one is there? I don't think so. 400 acres and only 1 blind you can hunt, naw! I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Comment

Sounds like lease boss is having his cake with icing and some milk to boot

Comment

I can bring guests that hunt off my tag. But, only one guest per weekend. Age and relationship of guest shouldn't matter imo. But it sounds like the paid hunters on this lease have multiple guests per weekend. That wouldn't be cool.

I prefer community blinds so i don't have to look at the same brush and animals each hunt.

As you describe it, this would not be a lease i'd be interested in.

Comment

Nope!

Comment

Nothing you stated really bothers me that much as long as it is a good group. Does it matter if 5 guys shoot 5 deer or 1 guy shoots 5 deer. I have a son in college that doesn't have time to hunt. But taking him as an option would be nice. Or another buddy or bil for that matter.

Lease boss not paying isn't a deal breaker. Though sometimes I think if they have cash in the game it is more like a lease and less like a business for him.

I prefer ladder stands, tripods and popups to Cadillac blinds or condos. But never bothered me if I let someone hunt. Folks though may prefer the blinds/condos.

I do like year round access and opportunity to hunt either pigs or varmits in the off season. That and the drive would be the big drawbacks to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      So between the lease manager and his buddy, they cover all the blinds when no one is there? I don't think so. 400 acres and only 1 blind you can hunt, naw! I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.
                      Thats kinda the way I took it. They all live pretty close and are there most weekends. I guess to me "immediate family" means in YOUR household. My wife has hunted with me, but yeah she lives with me. I am ok with lease guys and their kids that are young going out. Some places I have looked at Under the age of 18 was the cut off.

Just seems like 5 spots but only 2 paying. Then again if they are going by the rules it should be no ore than 10 total deer. But how will the other paying members numbers be if they are out all the time?

Never been in a situation like that but I assume the rest of the group is ok with it or they don't know??

Comment

If you were hunting your own stand I could deal with it, but not community blinds. I’ve spent years and lots of $$ improving my spots. Not a lot of motivation to do that in a communist system. If close friends already it could work, not on a big lease. My 2 cents.

Comment

Hunters payin for the lease boss is crazy. Unless hes keeping batteries and feed in my feeders all year. Not to mention bringing 3 more for free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We share blinds after Thanksgiving. Don't think I like the rest if the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                              Sounds like lease boss is having his cake with icing and some milk to boot
                              Talked to few others and I honestly never thought a bunch of leases in this area the lease boss jacks the price up to pay for his spot. I guess if you want on it doesn't matter but being a lease boss must be an awful headache with the wrong group. Hence pay my spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X