Fannin Unit Caddo Grasslands-Archery Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permit

Froggy, are you saying that you DO NOT have to buy the type 2 permit to hunt Fannin this year?

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
    Dang Pat. You sure ask tough questions.

Policed by Forest Service Law Enforcement and TP&W Game Wardens.

Boundaries are marked and they have fire lines aound the property. Corners are marked with red bands around three trees and a monument.

Wildlife survey and check in forms will be made available at bulletin boards and will be mandatory.

Shotgun hunting for small game will still be allowed. No shot larger than #4.

All you need to hunt there is a state hunting license.

Comment

Originally posted by ak47-03 View Post
      Froggy, are you saying that you DO NOT have to buy the type 2 permit to hunt Fannin this year?
      The Fannin Unit is not part of the WMA and has never required the APH permit.

All you need is a state hunting license. No check in is required this year.

Comment

what are the bag limits up there? are they like LBJ with the doe only during the bow season?i have a map of the LBJ area and i thought it had caddo on the other side. Sounds like i might check it out. i havent been able to hunt at all this year and i havent even got my license due to funds and all. I was going to get one this weekend and maybe hunt LBJ but i wont be able to go till the last weekend of the bow saeson and i had all but decided it wasnt going to be worth it because i wouel only be able to hunt for one buck during rifle season, but this might change my mind.... thank you for any info you can add to this decision.

Hey pat good to see you posting i havent seen ya one the LBJ postings much and was wondering what you were up to....

Comment

Has anyone hunted out a Fannin yet, or made a scouting trip? I went out and looked around for a bit. Signs everywhere to of wildlife. Drove by the other night and saw about 6 vehicles parked at the gates. No visuals of game as of yet.

Comment

I was thinking about going there Sunday and checking it out. Never been there before though so it should be interesting. If I make it there I will report back on Monday.

Comment

Okay so I am going there tomorrow. Still haven't been yet, but the other place that I go is closed this weekend for a drawn hunt. Are you allowed to take does since it general season everywhere else?

Comment

I went out last monday,lots of signs, no luck, think its a afternoon spot, doe during archery and just thankgiving weekend from what i was told, no type 2 required, good luck and give me a buzz if u go out, I get out there alot.

Comment

I am definitely going in the morning tomorrow. I'd be up for afternoon hunt during the week or next weekend though. I was thinking about trying to go live tomorrow.

Comment

We have friends that live near that area and we stayed in a campground on the edge of it last spring and it looks like it could be a good area. One of the guys I was visiting with said it used to be a great spot to hunt but folks would just go out lately and kill whatever, whenever. Archery only should help out!!

Comment

Let's us know how it goes

Comment

Went Wensday morning saw a lot of sign, but not no animals except treerats. The wind kept circling evry 5 minutes it was headed a different direction. There 3 other trucks at different gates also. I think it may be an afternoon spot also.

Comment

Me and my son are wanting to check this place out. Never been there. Anyone willing to meet up this next Sunday morning and show us around some?

Comment

This coming Sunday or next?

Comment

This coming.

Comment

I am out of town, but I will let you in on a decent spot or seems like it should be. I think it is gate #37. Whatever the number is when you are going down park road 34 right where it curves right if you were to go straight it's a dirt road. Right there where the dirt meets the pavement is the gate. there is a pond about 100 yards inside of the gate. Behind that pond is a decent dry creek bed with some climbable trees. Also as you enter the gate off to your right there are couple of good tree lines also. Found some rubs and scrapes on Saturday morning. My buddy saw 2 spikes running together over in that area on Sunday morning. Haven't ran into any other hunters in this section yet. Also some decent hog sign.

Comment

Working...
                                X