Private Pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LWC View Post
    I was amazed at the low pay starting out for pilots. It is one of the only (professional) jobs that I know, that make fast food type wages. Just doesn't compute with me, but I guess it comes down to supply/demand and pilots needing so many hours before they can get a decent gig.

I know my friend started out flying for some of these oil/gas pipelines. Apparently they have to fly down their pipelines very often to make sure there are no leaks, problems, etc...

When I was an instructor there was a sign at the local Racetrac gas station for a manager position that made $5 more an hour than I was making! The freight job didn’t pay more either.

I used to tell people that if a pilot screws up there are hundreds dead, if a doctor screws up there is one dead. Why is the pay so different?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 2014FusionM View Post
        Thanks for all the input, I have a degree but in business management. I would love to fly for a corporation or something small the being away from family is something I am not interested in.

I am close to gaining my license currently and just keep working towards it.

"Pilot" and "home every night" don't really go together

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
          I'm a private pilot but that's not really relevant. I've worked for American Airlines for 28 years as an A&P.
          If you want to fly for a living, don't screw around. If your not focused you'll have fun and spend a bunch of money but never reach your goal.
          Sign up with a college program and get it done. Once your CFI/CFII you can build time on other students' dime instructing. It typically takes about $30-40k from start to finish but will give you a chance to have a great career.
          Not sure where your at but I would recommend the program at Southeastern State University at Durant Ok.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
          My son just finished his freshman year in SOSU's aviation program. He'd Never flown a plane (as pilot in command) unti Sept. 2017. Completed his private pilot license in Jan of this year and just recently completed the first phase (manuvers) of his Commercial License. He is now working on the cross country phase. If all goes well he will have his commercial and instrument rating by this October. In less than one year he has went from -0- hours to 106 hours off flight time. He absolutely loves it and is leaning strongly toward the airline side of the industry. It's a great industry to get into right now. I have a few friends that went the same route 25 years ago. They now have great careers, both captains at major airlines now, but they had to make major sacrifices at the beginning of their career that now don't have to be made due to the pilot shortage.

Comment

If anyone wants a tour of the Air Traffic Facilities in Houston let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              This guy! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                Me too!

Comment

Another option may be military. You finish with a commercial equivalent. You don’t spend a penny, yes you have a commitment, but the opportunity to fly the assortment of jets that the Navy/AF/Marines one is pretty cool.

I plan on exploring commercial options here in a few years and also transfer to the guard or reserves to hopefully continue towards a military retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                    Bumping this up for more info
                    I use Fly With Robert out of Fort Worth Spinks Airport. He has a pretty good crew of instructors that I have learned a lot from. The airport is located off 1187 and 35 just North of Burleson.

They are reasonably priced as well from the research that I did.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasFlyer03 View Post
                      Another option may be military. You finish with a commercial equivalent. You don’t spend a penny, yes you have a commitment, but the opportunity to fly the assortment of jets that the Navy/AF/Marines one is pretty cool.

I plan on exploring commercial options here in a few years and also transfer to the guard or reserves to hopefully continue towards a military retirement.
                      I tried that route but was unsuccessful. I got my degree in business and they would not accept anything unless it was a flight degree from a college or an engineering degree... I spent 6 years as a reservist and got my degree at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by GRIZZ64 View Post
                        My son just finished his freshman year in SOSU's aviation program. He'd Never flown a plane (as pilot in command) unti Sept. 2017. Completed his private pilot license in Jan of this year and just recently completed the first phase (manuvers) of his Commercial License. He is now working on the cross country phase. If all goes well he will have his commercial and instrument rating by this October. In less than one year he has went from -0- hours to 106 hours off flight time. He absolutely loves it and is leaning strongly toward the airline side of the industry. It's a great industry to get into right now. I have a few friends that went the same route 25 years ago. They now have great careers, both captains at major airlines now, but they had to make major sacrifices at the beginning of their career that now don't have to be made due to the pilot shortage.
                        This is exactly how it works. Congratulations on your sons progress.
                        My best friends son just finished his CFII there. He is instructing for them now. He made a commitment with Envoy and will start with them once he's done with training.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                          I started flying in high school, soloed at 16 and got my private at 17. I immediately trained for my Instrument, then Multi, then Commercial before I was a junior at A&M. CFII before graduating. I got my ATP soon after my 23rd birthday. Training and rentals were a lot cheaper back then. I flew corporate and freight for a few years after instructing until 9/11 and losing sight in my right eye derailed my career. It’s an awesome way to make a living, but you better have a strong woman at home. Airline Induced Divorce Syndrome, AIDS, is a real thing!

I got a waiver for one eyed pilot in ‘12 and just fly for myself now. The passion still won’t let go of my heart.

Study the material and dedicate at least a few flights a week and you can train quickly and efficiently. PM me if you need something.

That is a FINE tricked out Baron. What is the screen in the middle of the windscreen? Surely you don't have sun vis?? Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            That is a FINE tricked out Baron. What is the screen in the middle of the windscreen? Surely you don't have sun vis?? Do you?
                            I could be wrong but I think that is a defroster when conditions get a little icy.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post

Nice Baron (I think). My bil and sister live in Corsicana. Maybe I could get a ride sometime! I'll buy the gas and cheeseburgers! Of course it would have to be a short ride! $$!

Comment

I will be around and working at Houston ARTCC the whole month of July. Send me a text or give me a call and we can set up a good time for a tour. You must be a US citizen and have a valid ID. Mark Johnson 832-260-1326

Pic is a shameless brag, and a perk of the job.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X