No announcement yet.

Picking a new bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry guys I'm just now seeing all these, had three exams last week. I won't be able to start looking and testing bows until I get back from my study abroad in Qatar in December. So it looks like the new lines of bows is what I will be looking at.

For bow shops in Houston, I know of Bowzone which has a good variety, and Viking which when I was last there mainly focused on traditional, where are some of the other ones? I've looked on google but don't seem to find that many.

I also know of Live Oak Archery in College Station, I shoot there quite often while in school. Any of recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
      Just as a side note to my first post. I went in to buy a Mathews and left with a Hoyt. Again, shoot em all, then buy the one that shoots and feels the best in your hand. It's your money, don't buy something that someone else says you should shoot, unless of course they want to pay for it.

As he said, I went in to buy a Mathews but came home with a bowtech. It's all about preference! Try em all!

Comment

J & J in Port Lavaca ... make sure you don't overlook the Pearsons!

Comment

I had a Mathews Chill R. Replaced with an Obsession Evo.

Bought an Xpedition Perfexion.

Traded my Evo for Xpedition XRing.

Let's just say I really, really like Xpedition bows. I liked my Evo a lot. It was smooth and quiet.

The Mathews was just ok to me. Nothing special.

Comment

Gotta try out Xpedition before buying. West Houston should have them.

Comment

Always go with the brand that has the coolest window stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                Gotta try out Xpedition before buying. West Houston should have them.
                I was in there about 3 weeks ago and they said they were not carrying them.

There is a guy in Spring though that is a dealer.

Buckeye Bow Works

I have not been up there yet. But, I have talked to him. Seems like a really nice guy.

https://www.facebook.com/Buckeye-Bow...1398944012636/

Comment

go to your local pro shop and start shooting. let the bow pick you. do not look at the brand. brand doesn't matter

Best advice you could get.

Only thing I can say about picking a new bow is that if you read about Brand X, Y or Z on here or the AT site, you won't buy any of them. Every manufacturer takes a good share of of hits on their products--either from fanboys of the other brands, or for whatever reason. Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Elite, PSE, Bear---and lots of other folks' bows out there to choose from. And, in my opinion, find one you like and buy a 1-2-3 year old one out of our classifieds. Save enough to buy all the accessories needed and a dozen arrows and BHs.

So--go to several dealers of different brands and try them out. Don't let our prejudiced opinions make up your mind, but let your experience do it.
                  Last edited by dustoffer; 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                    I was in there about 3 weeks ago and they said they were not carrying them.

There is a guy in Spring though that is a dealer.

Buckeye Bow Works

I have not been up there yet. But, I have talked to him. Seems like a really nice guy.

https://www.facebook.com/Buckeye-Bow...1398944012636/

Well dang, I was wrong about that. I thought they had landed the contract. Oh well, can't win them all

Comment

Shoot em all. I went in dead set on Mathews last year and ended up with a Bear. I hadn't even considered Bear before walking into the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                        Well dang, I was wrong about that. I thought they had landed the contract. Oh well, can't win them all
                        I drove down I-10 yesterday and it looks like West Houston is gone? No more signs and dark inside...did they close down?

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                          I have a Mathews Chill R and absolutely love it! Smooth and fast!
                          Totally agree!!!!!!
                          Love my chill R 👍🏼

Comment

Originally posted by Drewski View Post
                            I drove down I-10 yesterday and it looks like West Houston is gone? No more signs and dark inside...did they close down?
                            They relocated to a bigger shop a few miles away.

Comment

Ah hell, is it still along I-10 west bound feeder? Haven't been there in a couple years so I've been out of the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                                go to your local pro shop and start shooting. let the bow pick you. do not look at the brand. brand doesn't matter
                                Exactly, they will all perform. Let it fit you. When it's just you in the stand, that cute little expensive logo makes no difference in the world. Go shoot a bunch, narrow it down, and then shoot those. Be happy with what you pick and you will have a killing machine, I promise.....

Comment

Working...
                                X