Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Vs. Long Axle to Axle; Myth, Fact and Opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 6’ y’all with long arms and draw slightly longer than 30.5”. I think it’s worth adding that not all short bows are created equally. I’ve had short bows that were critical and didn’t handle well at long draw lengths, but I also have a triax that shoots and handles amazingly well at my draw length. The string angle allows for a comfortable anchor and the string touching the top of my nose without dipping my head. I typically set my peep a little snug so that at short distances I’m dipping into it just a little, but that’s a setup choice so that I’m more comfortable when shooting longer distances (shooting a moving sight).

It gets repeated often that longer bows are more stable, but it’s also worth pointing out that short bows with long risers can be very stable. The triax for instance holds nearly as well as my target bow.

I probably wouldn’t shoot a short bow, even the triax, for everything. The target bow is slightly more comfortable for extended target shooting and I can shoot a little higher scores with it. That’s much more a function of the lower draw weight and the higher holding weight though IMO than the ATA length.

I’ve shot short bows that I hated, but some of them are great hunting bows even for long draw guys. I’d much rather carry my triax in the field and through the woods than my longer, heavier bows.

D

Comment

Working...
    X