No announcement yet.

Instinctive Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a guy picks up a bow, without having ever shot one, or seen somebody shoot one, and nocks an arrow, pulls back the string and lets go, that is an instinctive shot.

Instinctive is the wrong word, although accepted, to mean subconscious aiming. Our brains are pretty smart and do not want to fail, therefore, it will find a way to succeed and adjust for you. Stare at that spot and let your subconscious look at the arrow and riser for you.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

We call it "instinctive" but, as Swampy just stated, it is actually a process of aiming that is guided by the subconscious. "Instinctive" is just easier than saying "I shoot by highly practiced second-nature dead-aim focus on a spot." The thing is that we still have to have consistent draw to anchor and solid release to hit that spot which the brain has so carefully elevated our bow arm to hit while we were unconsciously drawing and whatnot.
      Last edited by tradtiger; 03-15-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Whether you call it instinctive, intuitive, subconscious, or whatever is all a matter of semantics.

It is probably the oldest method of shooting a bow there is.

This is my way of attempting to explain the way I have shot arrows from bows since 1968. It has served me well all these years and I haven't felt the need to change whether shooting 3D or hunting. That being said I will be the first to tell you I cannot shoot the scores many of the new and younger guys are shooting these days, but I have been able at times to still hold my own with other archers my age although that has slipped a little since my equilibrium went south several years ago.

With both eyes open one focuses on and concentrates on a specific spot or object, visualizes in his mind the path of the arrow arching to that spot or object while at the same time adjusting his bow and arrow to achieve what he sees in his mind, draws to anchor and when everything feels and looks right releases the string. Hopefully this all takes place in one fluid motion the same way time after time in only a matter of seconds.

That is a rather simplification of what takes place for me when I shoot and what it is called doesn't change how it is done. It is the same principal applied when shooting a basketball from anywhere on the court.

I might also mention for some folks this comes natural, some have to work at it more than others, and some just have to find a different method. That doesn't make it "mystical". Just means different strokes for different folks.
        Last edited by Straitshot; 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The "instinctive" concept is simple.

No aiming aids. Just bow, string, and arrow.

Comment

I think it's an argument of what someone calls it. Just shoot.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Guess I'm somewhere in the middle or just plain weird.

Coming from a severe target panic that lasted two years I followed an advice from a Olympic archer to have the arrow way down where I want to hit and have my breathing bring the arrow up. This helped me get my TP to 90% under control. The only problem is that now I always hit about 4-5 inches down so now my " aiming " is what I call

Pick a gap, I intuitively pick a spot higher than what I want to hit and the arrow drops 4-5 inches. This is for 3D and practice. For whatever reason my TP is not existent on moving targets or live pray.

Comment

Not much to add to this as I'm still in the "I have no idea what I'm doing" crowd. One thing for sure though is that I really enjoy that little thrill when an arrow goes exactly where I'm looking.

Richard.

Comment

I also tend to think that there is this artificial elevation of status that some folks place on being able to shoot "instinctive." Not because of what they are doing, but because the word "instinctive" tends to convey a sense of "raw talent." I mean who doesn't want to be associated with a style that conveys some sort of innate way to doing things? Instinctive implies "pure", "natural", "unaltered."

All a gap shooter is doing is putting the thought processes in front of the conscious mind. An instinctive shooter is allowing for the subconscious mind to take over. In some cases, it is forcing it to happen. I have always chuckled that instinct will tell you which way works best for you from the get go. I see young elementary aged kids all the time at the range (scouts.) Some want to try to start aiming, some want to just let that arrow fly as fast as they can; assuming it will hit. Both groups stink equally as bad because their form and consistency are terrible. But to each, they have a way of approaching the task at hand and will eventually get through it one way or the other. Often times, telling them to aim a certain way, forces they to fight their instinctive way to shoot. Of course, this too could have been a learned behavior for them... but who knows.

So, I have run into more than my fair share of shooters in person and online. I can usually tell the difference between a guy/gal that shoots "instinctive" that uses that terms because it is the accepted term for a split fingered shooter who has learned to aim by staring at their target until their mind adapts and their groups tighten vs somebody who did the same, but wear the "instinctive" title as some badge of honor. In the same breathe, I know gap shooters who when they say they don't shoot "instinctive" they do so in some sort of oddball apologetic way, as though they feel they are cheating, because they are not shooting in some sort of pure way... as though we all really know how every archer back in the 1600s aimed, or every native American aimed their bow.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    I also tend to think that there is this artificial elevation of status that some folks place on being able to shoot "instinctive." Not because of what they are doing, but because the word "instinctive" tends to convey a sense of "raw talent." I mean who doesn't want to be associated with a style that conveys some sort of innate way to doing things? Instinctive implies "pure", "natural", "unaltered."

All a gap shooter is doing is putting the thought processes in front of the conscious mind. An instinctive shooter is allowing for the subconscious mind to take over. In some cases, it is forcing it to happen. I have always chuckled that instinct will tell you which way works best for you from the get go. I see young elementary aged kids all the time at the range (scouts.) Some want to try to start aiming, some want to just let that arrow fly as fast as they can; assuming it will hit. Both groups stink equally as bad because their form and consistency are terrible. But to each, they have a way of approaching the task at hand and will eventually get through it one way or the other. Often times, telling them to aim a certain way, forces they to fight their instinctive way to shoot. Of course, this too could have been a learned behavior for them... but who knows.

So, I have run into more than my fair share of shooters in person and online. I can usually tell the difference between a guy/gal that shoots "instinctive" that uses that terms because it is the accepted term for a split fingered shooter who has learned to aim by staring at their target until their mind adapts and their groups tighten vs somebody who did the same, but wear the "instinctive" title as some badge of honor. In the same breathe, I know gap shooters who when they say they don't shoot "instinctive" they do so in some sort of oddball apologetic way, as though they feel they are cheating, because they are not shooting in some sort of pure way... as though we all really know how every archer back in the 1600s aimed, or every native American aimed their bow.
                    Greatness

Comment

I don't really give a rip how others do it. I did at first because I had not gotten to a point where I knew how I was going to shoot. But now I just work on me. I'm not trying to win contests. I'm not going to be able to impress anyone. I just want to kill stuff consistently and feel confident in doing that.

Comment

To not realize there are varying degrees of ability, natural or otherwise, in everything we do at the least is naïve and at its worst denial. If not we would all be clones and no one would ever be second. We cannot all play basketball like Michael Jordan, the cello like Yo Yo Ma, or shoot archery like Howard Hill. But we can to some degree learn to play basketball, a musical instrument, and shoot archery and we don’t have to feel inferior if we do it differently to others. Nor, if we achieve some measure of success, is our method the best or most correct method for everyone. Diversity is good.
                        Last edited by Straitshot; 03-16-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I like Yo Yo Ma's music. I also know I have no musical ability. However I can shoot some. And have always had a knack for killin'. So I'm finding my way. It's up to you to find yours. God bless and shoot more and more often.

Comment

DRT,

Thank you and may the good Lord bless and keep you too! Shoot straight and enjoy the journey. Blessings.

Comment

Working...
                            X