X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Push. A traditional archery podcast

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree Rick. Not really truly instinctive and yes the term is very Misleading. Maybe a reason I struggled, and still struggle to find consistent consistency. Intuitive is more correct, and I believe. I really wanted to learn a good gap method and my wife shoots a gap style, but for some reason I cannot make it work for me and never have a good release when I try to shoot a version of the gap style. the best way I can loose an arrow is to simply let the bow come to draw and focus on my point, through the shot.
      Definetly not instinctive, but... A rose by any name __.

Comment

Some will achieve the level quicker than others, but anything we commit enough effort into for a long enough period of time will eventually become fairly effortless.

That lack of effort combined with fluid motion, speed of target acquisition, speed of shot execution, and proficiency will appear as instinctive to an observer.

Rick

Comment

The Push - A Traditional Archery Podcast is intended to help expedite the traditional archery learning curve. Whether you're into bowhunting with a recurve or longbow, competition, or just enjoy the art of archery, this podcast will have something for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Instinctive is not the correct word, but it is the word someone came up with a long time ago to name s style of shooting a bow that is not truly instinctive!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
              Thinking and instinctive are opposite terms. Over thinking leads to confusion and I suspect it also leads to what is called target panic.
              Now, I sometimes think through the shot process, and then practice the process many times until it becomes automatic.
              Over thinking causes me to shoot poorly and gives me a headache.
              Same with me. If I think too much I mess up. I am however really focusing on my string hand, and my release. I have to make a conscious effort to keep my string hand relaxed, and get a good deep hook then release without plucking the string. It's my weakest area and I have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

another 2 cents

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Instinctive is not the correct word, but it is the word someone came up with a long time ago to name s style of shooting a bow that is not truly instinctive!

Bisch
                Bisch nailed it - wrong word!

Instinctive implies instinct. Instinct is a behavior that is common through-out a species. All humans would have to be experts at archery.

It is a learned art. I always told my students, try everything, find what style you like and are comfortable with then stay with it. Consistency is the right word.

Unfortunately some beginners think that if they call themselves instinctive shooters they do not have to learn proper form or procedures, and they will not have to practice. Obviously it does not work and they lose interest.

How about that. Gone for a year or so and I still talk too much. Oh well, too old to change now.

Don

Comment

If a bow has no sights, shooting it has to be instinctive.

Comment

Originally posted by ferguson620 View Post

Instinctive implies instinct. Instinct is a behavior that is common through-out a species. All humans would have to be experts at archery.

It is a learned art. I always told my students, try everything, find what style you like and are comfortable with then stay with it. Consistency is the right word.

Unfortunately some beginners think that if they call themselves instinctive shooters they do not have to learn proper form or procedures, and they will not have to practice. Obviously it does not work and they lose interest.

How about that. Gone for a year or so and I still talk too much. Oh well, too old to change now.

Don
                    Good to here from you Don. Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by ferguson620 View Post

Don
                      Where's the like button when you need it.

It's a confusing term, that leads many to believe they need to have some sort of near super natural ability to be able to shoot. When they realize they are mere humans many give it up, and bow their heads to those they think have the force within them.

This was my whole point, which maybe I should clarify - The more you try to explain "Instinctive Archery" the more apparent it becomes, that it is far removed from an instinctive action.

It is a learned mental & motor skill, just like walking, and/or reading.
                      It takes the honing of both the physical ability to execute the process (motor skill), as well as the understanding of the process (mental skill).

Of course some learn it quicker, some learn it better, and some master it to a point where it looks effortless to them, but it isn't instinct that got them to that point. What gets you there is the desire to learn, and the dedication to overcome the hurdles when they present themselves.

I'll add this - in the end, you will still never have learned it all. The rawest beginner all the way to the most accomplished veteran, and everyone in between all have room to improve. All it takes is the desire, and dedication to learn, but your endstinks aren't going to do much for you in that arena.

Rick
                      Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-13-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

When you apply an aiming process, at first it throws you off, you think a bunch and I frustrates you, but overtime as you continue the same aiming method it becomes subconscious to where it feels instinctive, I believe feel has a lot to do with it also, as soon as I started applying an aiming method years ago I became a much better archer and became more consistent, I don't have to practice as much and much more in control of my shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My conversation with Wudstix at GRXH:
                          BF- How do you shoot?
                          W- With both eyes open.

BF- How do you aim?
                          W- By looking at the target.

BF- Whats your arrow weight?
                          W- I dont know.

BF- Whats your FOC?
                          W- Whats that?

BF- Um...Thanks. Good talk.
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 03-13-2017, 09:28 AM. Reason: PigletHatcheterSpake

Comment

I gap shoot but it has almost become an instant process.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                              When you apply an aiming process, at first it throws you off, you think a bunch and I frustrates you, but overtime as you continue the same aiming method it becomes subconscious to where it feels instinctive, I believe feel has a lot to do with it also, as soon as I started applying an aiming method years ago I became a much better archer and became more consistent, I don't have to practice as much and much more in control of my shot

Good info.

Comment

Instinctive Shooting

I took Joel turners online class also, his insight helped me the most, my 300 scores jumped 30-50 points consistently, I was averaging 220 before it now I can shoot a 260-290 consistently depending on how my joints and neck feel
                                He really does help you control your shot and mind, he has some helpful videos on YouTube, but his online class is worth every penny

Comment

Working...
                                X