Charcuterie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
    The whole muscle pieces that didn't get rolled up were dredged in salt using the "salt box method". The bellies that got rolled got the same treatment with the addition of pink salt #2. It went into zip lock bags then into the fridge for 8 days under an equal amount of weight. I drained the excess water out of the bags and overhauled the meat twice during the curing time. Then everything was washed off, dried, weighed, tagged with the weight and then hung into the chamber. The chamber is a working upright commercial fridge. I used a manual temp controller plugged into the fridge to keep the temps from getting too hot. A small ceramic heater keeps the temps from getting too cold. An ultrasonic humidifier with an inline controller handles the humidity. The fan on the heater or the one on the fridge supplies my air movement. I have checked the temp and humidity twice everyday since I hung the meat and they are always within the parameters of what is safe. I have 2 methods for checking just to be sure of what is going on inside the chamber.

How were you doing it Jason?
    Hey Oneeye, sorry for the late reply... I use the (EQ) method or equilibrium curing method. This method allows you more control and more consistancy with curing meat. While the saltbox method is deemed safe it doesn't guarantee your products will cure evenly. If each piece of meat had the proper amount of cure #2 then it would of stayed pink throughout the curing process. Also with using the saltbox method you never will know if the end product will be overly salty or just right. Thats why i choose to use the EQ method. My chamber setup was a commerical display cooler and i was using auber instruments plug-in-play controller. I ran a humidifier inside the chamber but my biggest issue was the condenser fan blowing to much air causing case hardening on my meat even though my temp and humidity were good. After talking with a lot of guys who used commercial refridgerators they all agree that using a regular refridgerator will give you more consistant results for curing meat. I hope you get the results your looking for! Keep us posted on how things go! If you need any help or have questions send me a PM.

Comment

Thanks Jason. I'll look into the EQ method.

I too was worried about the large condenser fan and the large amount of air that it moves. But, it's staying cold so long here that most of that load of meat will be done before the fridge ever kicks on! If summer ever does get here I plan on putting a vertical baffle in to direct the moving air all the way to the bottom of the chamber. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Finally came back to this thread. Originally I had my doubts when I just saw the OP. The meat looks terrible and uncured... but I guess it is the picture/lighting quality?

I have done some charcuterie (pastrami, Canadian bacon, salt pork, sausage, etc), but have not done any of the dried or fermented meats yet. Have the temperature and humidity controllers, just haven't found a good deal on a small fridge to dedicate to it.

Would love to see your setup with a better camera!

Comment

This is very interesting to me and I'm in for the results. Good luck in the process and i'll be following.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
            Thanks Jason. I'll look into the EQ method.

I too was worried about the large condenser fan and the large amount of air that it moves. But, it's staying cold so long here that most of that load of meat will be done before the fridge ever kicks on! If summer ever does get here I plan on putting a vertical baffle in to direct the moving air all the way to the bottom of the chamber. We'll see what happens.
            you only need a small amount of air moving through the chamber. I even put a baffle on the condenser fan to direct air from blowing directly on the meat and still had case hardening. Here is the link to a small coppa i cured that got case hardening from to much air blowing in the chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
              you only need a small amount of air moving through the chamber. I even put a baffle on the condenser fan to direct air from blowing directly on the meat and still had case hardening. Here is the link to a small coppa i cured that got case hardening from to much air blowing in the chamber.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=610852
              That does look good. Never heard of Coppa. Think I'd be tempted to trim the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                That does look good. Never heard of Coppa. Think I'd be tempted to trim the edge.
                No need to trim the edges. If you vac seal it and put it in the fridge for a few months some if not all of the case hardening will go away. I didn't even bother trimming the case hardening. It was just a little chewy on the edges but the flavor was great!

Comment

How are things coming along? Any updated pics on how the meat looks?

Comment

Sorry for the delay Jason. I have not looked at this forum in a few days. Thanks for checking. I answered your PM. Things are looking pretty good. It certainly does test one's patience! It finally warmed up here so my fridge is running now instead of the heater.

Comment

Working...
                    X