Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Catch a Pig-ator

Evening GS,

As some of you may recall, I started a thread requesting tips for hog trapping. I ended up buying a box trap and put it to work due to the recent, large influx of pigs.

Within 5 sets, I caught 6 pigs with it! 4 sows and 2 boars! 3 of those sows were prego.

On the first set of the trap I caught 4! The other two were single catches.

Seeing that we are having a bigger problem than my box can handle, I just installed a large corral trap on Thursday and put a feeder in it to keep it hot.

Hoping we catch the whole sounder! I set this corral close to where the box has been set as these pigs have been in the area every night for almost 4 weeks.

Headed in the morning to check the box trap and set the corral! Will move the box away from the corral once it's set.

Have cooked the pigs a few different ways and have enjoyed it. Had wild pork carnitas last night that were bomb! Have been fortunate to give some meat to friends and family who wanted some as well.

Pic heavy, enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 02-10-2018, 07:28 PM.

A few more hogs and you're gonna be giving tips instead of asking for them. I may be in the market for some since I can't get any hogs to go in my trap !

Comment

Any advice with that hog trap? I can't seem to get my hogs to commit to mine.

Comment

Where did you get the gate in the corral type trap?

Comment

Caught 8 in one night last week--7 boars and one sow, all about 75-90 lbs. Was wondering if the lady was "hot" and all the boars were following her--

Comment

I thought that was a picture of bagged fetuses!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
              They are great with dumplings 😂

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                I thought the same! 😂

Comment

Hogs at my place can jump out of that pen flatfooted, some can climb. Nice start, keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                    Hogs at my place can jump out of that pen flatfooted, some can climb. Nice start, keep up the good work.
                    I hope they don’t. It’s right at or a little above 5’.

Comment

Built a hog trap a couple of weeks ago and they're climbing up the sides like a spidermonkey. Still catching them with a conventional trap.

Comment

Did you purchase the gate to the corral locally? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                          Did you purchase the gate to the corral locally? Thanks
                          It’s my BIL’s gate. I’ll have to ask him for you as I have no idea. I like it’s design though.

Comment

Good luck with them....it is a never ending battle.

Comment

Congrats on the success. I have a fig 6 trap up for two weeks now and they have not got in it. Deer are around it. It have not learned they can jump in and out.

Comment

Working...
                              X