Sandy soil planting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandy soil planting

I and two friends bought 195 acres north of Abilene near Hawley. Have is pretty brushy with scrub oak, oak and other short trees. The other half is more open with some areas that will make good open pasture woven in between thicker brushy areas. Plenty of game there but this place has had nothing done to it in years.

We have a new tractor with mow deck/brush hog and need to buy a used implement or two but as we mow out some thorny brush and plenty of weeds we have noticed grass there is sparse. I will plant clay peas and some other stuff for food plots but want to get some good standard grazing grass growing as we will be dropping in some blackbuck, sika and fallow as the fence goes into place. Looking at a two year plan on the fence so I have time to get grass established. Bermuda is growing fairly good in a couple of spots but not wide spread. Looking for suggestions and hoping for someone who has experience in the area or similar.

One implement I'm sure you'll probably want is a disk. You might consider getting one and disking a bit in the sparse areas and see what happens, you might be pleasantly surprised. When I first got my place, it had been pretty much over grazed to the nub, lots of bare ground. No cattle now for some years and the open areas are mostly thigh high grass. Good luck with it. D

Comment

I have a disc that we can use with the UTV but want one that will cover ground faster. No cattle on this place in at least 5 years. The previous owners were deceased and the families made no use of the land what-so-ever. There is some very low wide leaf weeds of some type the deer and quail make use of.

Comment

Wildlife won't eat burmuda grass to my knowledge. You might talk to a local feed and seed or extension agent about Kleingrass. Wildlife and cattle will eat it. The only "issue" is that horses can get sick on it, but just keep them out and no prob.

Comment

Best bet for long term success is natives. Cheapest option is fire and disk. NRCS may do cost-share on native reseeding if you develop a plan with them. When we did that, we got our native mix through Turner Seed.

Comment

I know whitetail aren't grazers of grass but I believe most exotics are. We won't have horses although a few rams may get mixed in against my likes.

Comment

Anyone use fall witchgrass?

Comment

Working...
              X