Smaller airline approved bow case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller airline approved bow case

I'm flying with bows and trying to find a bow case that meet the airlines baggage dimensions of 62" or less (length+width+height). Im flying with take down recurves and plan on packing clothes and other stuff with them. Even the take down recurve cases exceed dimensions. I'm trying to avoid $200 there and $200 back oversize bag fee. Anyone have one that meets the less than 62" rule? I've read where some guys were using golf bags but according to the airlines page they are charging them now.

Which air line and air ports are you flying out of?

They all differ depending on airport. I flew in August with my SKB bow case from DFW to Augusta. At DFW they would not let me pack my clothes in with my bow. The man was really nice but said the TSA wouldn't hand check it with clothes, so it had to route differently and I would be charged for oversized bag fee. But, since I stayed nice and pleaded with him for a viable alternative, he got me a cardboard box to pack my clothes in for $25 and my bow went to TSA for $25.

When I came home and checked in at Augusta, they told me it didn't matter, they had a big machine that tested for residue without even opening the case. Sure enough, TSA put it in the machine while I stood there and cleared it.

The problem with a golf bag - yes it is within the size limits, but by the time you pack it with clothes, etc. it weighs too much.

With the bow case, you are allowed to pack your arrows, tool box, anything needed to shoot a bow. But DFW told me "no clothes."

Comment

Tracey, which airline were you flying?
      I have never had a problem with clothes in my bow case.
      Unless its changed since last year it sounds like an airline policy
      Not TSA.

Comment

If you are flying takedown trad bows look at Far North Archery cases. I can put two takedown bows and all my arrows in mine. No problem with the airline. You are welcome to use mine. I have always packed clothes around my compound when I fly with my SKB case. Never been a problem at all.

Comment

32″ interior length, plus approximately 1/2″ of space in the lid – easily holds full length arrows with field points Padded Pockets – Riser pocket, and two full length pockets…See More

This is the one I use. I can't imagine them giving you trouble. It's only 32" long.

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
            Tracey, which airline were you flying?
            I have never had a problem with clothes in my bow case.
            Unless its changed since last year it sounds like an airline policy
            Not TSA.
            AA. I think that guy interpreted the rules differently than most of us. He said the rule read you may have a bow in a bow case with archery equipment and they would waive the $200 OSB fee. He said it did not say you could pack clothes in there, too. Most of us add in that it doesn't say you cannot use clothes to cushion your bow. At that point I felt my money and life were in his hands and I didn't have time to fight him.

Funny, a lot of pro archers I know pack clothes around their bows and a lot say no way. I don't fly enough to know. I do know that next time, I'll take the extra day to drive and will avoid flying. Stuff like this keeps me from airports.

Comment

I will be flying out of Midland into Anchorage. I've seen several reports of folks saying clothes were a no go and several say they've never had an issue.
              I'm flying American and out of all their sport equipment rules, archery seems to have been screwed over. I had planned on taking two recurves, but their policy states specifically one bow, one quiver, and a maintenance box. I called them to confirm even if they were in the same piece of luggage, and was told one means one.
              Speck thanks for the offer. I'm going to purchase a case, just not sure which one at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                I will be flying out of Midland into Anchorage. I've seen several reports of folks saying clothes were a no go and several say they've never had an issue.
                I'm flying American and out of all their sport equipment rules, archery seems to have been screwed over. I had planned on taking two recurves, but their policy states specifically one bow, one quiver, and a maintenance box. I called them to confirm even if they were in the same piece of luggage, and was told one means one.
                Speck thanks for the offer. I'm going to purchase a case, just not sure which one at this point.
                Lots of guys take two bows. American has lost their mind! Nice thing about take down trad bows is the airline idiots don't even know what they are looking at. Two sets of limbs and one riser is what I carry. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                  Lots of guys take two bows. American has lost their mind! Nice thing about take down trad bows is the airline idiots don't even know what they are looking at. Two sets of limbs and one riser is what I carry. Good luck.
                  It seems Delta has that rule written as well. But from what I can tell it has absolutely nothing to do with rules and everything to do with the person you get at the counter. I guess I'm going to ship some stuff and hope for the best. I'm not happy about it.
                  Last edited by doublearrow; 07-17-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

It seems Delta has that rule written as well. But from what I can tell it has absolutely nothing to do with rules and everything to do with the person you get at the counter. I guess I'm going to ship some stuff and hope for the best. I'm not happy about it.
                    I wouldn't worry about it too much. We fly AA on our way to Canada every other year. We take multiple bows and pack socks and underwear around our bow in the case. Not once has anyone ever said anything to us about it. I usually pack thermacell in my bow case. I know it's not allowed but they have never once taken it. Canada is a different story. Those guys in Saskatoon take my thermacell every time if I try to fly it home.

Comment

Terra Glide Badlands. You can pack your bows, accessories, arrows and clothes in one bag and be done with it. You need to look it up and see what you think!

Comment

...... But from what I can tell it has absolutely nothing to do with rules and everything to do with the person you get at the counter. .......
                        Yup, that's my understanding as well.

I'm sure shipping will be a lot cheaper than the baggage fees - and you won't have to worry as much about it getting lost.

Comment

Working...
                        X