No announcement yet.

DIY string stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was having trouble finding the right kind of rod w/thread 5/16 -24 in the hardware stores here in town, so I had a specialty fastener place order me a piece. Smallest length was 3ft! I will only need 9" MAX, so if anyone wants to chip in a few bucks I'll mail you as much as you need. Just let me know (pm).

The rest of the pieces (nut, washer, stopper, shrink tube) were at Lowes. Gonna make me one in the next few days, see how it'll do!

Comment

I'm going to try and make one that will fit in a bow that only has a hole for the stabilizer..My girlfriend has a hoyt trykon sport and the hole doesnt go all the way through..Thanks for the idea..

Comment

Originally posted by jebsvitals View Post
        I'm going to try and make one that will fit in a bow that only has a hole for the stabilizer..My girlfriend has a hoyt trykon sport and the hole doesnt go all the way through..Thanks for the idea..
        Can you hurry up and do this!!! LOL

Comment

nice work, great idea

Comment

Awesome idea.

Comment

Great idea and results.

Comment

Thanks for the idea! My bow only is threaded in the front so I had to do some modifying but it turned out good.

Comment

This is a good DIY gonna have to add this to me bow.

Comment

Again, guys, let me know if you'd like some 5/16 - 24 rod. I only used about 8" out of a 3' piece. Also, instead of using shrink tubing, I used 1/2" vinyl tubing from the plumbing dept. Slid on like a piece of cake but won't slide backwards (guess the threading acts like barbs?) and wrapped it in camo tape. Looks slick, can't hardly believe I made it!

Comment

Made my own for my old bow. Instead of shrink tube I used a leftover quick fletch. Added a little pizaz and maybe even some dampening effects from the fletching. Although that is questionable.
                      Dependiing on the type of bow you have, martin has a set screw and an untapped hole, Lowes sells stock aluminum rod the right size. Its a little lighter and If I remember correctly it was only 5 or 6 bucks for a 3' piece.
                      Last edited by Stoof; 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

kool idea. i like the fletching idea

Comment

So do you guys think that the string stop would benefit all compound bows? Or are the bows that come from the factory with a strong stop engineered to have one. And do ya'll know of any negative side effects from adding a string stop? Until I saw this thread this was something I had never considered adding before but it is very intriguing.

Comment

nice job..

Comment

I've seen lots of these built in slightly different ways, and still manage to get new ideas from every one. Tnx for the build!

Comment

cool fix

Originally posted by lotsofshots View Post
                                Easy breezy.

Parts:
                                1 x 5/16 fine thread rod
                                1 x 5/16 fine thread nut
                                1 x 5/16 washer
                                1 x rubber stopper
                                6" heat shrink tubing

[If you already shoot a bow with a string stopper you already know how much of a difference it makes. It's unbelievable how much quieter it is and how much hand shock is eliminated. Just need to get some serving for the string and it'll be good to go.

Your turn!
                                I saw your blog and decided to check around the house for stuff to build my own string stop. It turned out great. I used an aluminum 3/8 threaded shotgun cleaning extension (threads fit perfectly) I bent it in a vise for a 1/4 offset ,cut it to size and used a $7 rubber stop, then cut an old camo glove and stitched it around the aluminum tube. Ok, you got me by $4, but it's better than the $48 that they want at the store. Thanks for the motivation!!

Comment

Working...
                                X