Very Frustrated, Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Frustrated, Please Help

Shooting a Samick Sage at 50# but my draw length is 25" (unnaturally stubby arms). Got my brace height right, thanks to this place, and bare shaft tested. I have too much spine on those arrows (Carbon Express hotrods 60/75). My compound arrows are weaker than my recurve set so I put feather fletches on them to try them out. They shoot much worse.
    The problem I have is consistency. At fifteen yards I'll get three in a softball sized group and three fliers that have no rhyme or reason where they go.
    I've worked hard on my form for four months and I expected to be better by now. Should I be doing better at this length into my experience or is this normal?
    Suggestions welcome.

A little insight into the trad world. We all and I mean we all have bad days... Don't let the odd day discourage you. If you are getting 3 good shots and 3 fliers I assume you are shooting 6 arrows at a time! If you are then I would cut it down to max 2 arrows at a time. Less fatigue and honestly you will feel better in this hear overall. Start each session out by doing this..

Warm up first - not many do this crucial step if you are almost at your draw weight max.
    Next - shoot from 5 yards only - when every arrow is within a softball size ( I use an old Duck tape core!) then move back - don't move back 5 yards but maybe a step or 2. repeat until you are hitting within the size again. Keep moving back until you reach your max (what you are comfortable with) eventually you will not need this whole process but, muscle memory is important at this point in time in your shooting.

Comment

If you still have problems let me know as I live maybe 12 miles away! Don't have a lot of extra time but, I can always swing an hour or so.

Comment

Great advice, Doug! I will try it tonight. I think one of the things I do is over-do it.
        I would really appreciate the help too so I'll take you up on that offer some day.
        Thank you

Comment

Listen to the Ol Man...I think he has helped all the trad guys on here.

Comment

Staton, you are for sure not alone in this. I experience this as well sometimes. I'm starting to pay attention to the finer details in my form and mental focus when shooting. Far from perfect, but consistency is getting better. That said, I do have one arrow that no matter what, it likes to drop drastically compared to the others.

Comment

spine stiffness

you may already know this but adding point weight to you arrows will weaken the spine and point of center being forward will help stabilize flight some and increase penetration. I would recommend practicing with 1 arrow. and see if it hits target straight at about 6 yards and follow instructions above for tightening your groups. over shooting will give you bad habits besides how many times does a deer let you shoot 6 arrows at it. ha

Comment

If you are shooting arrows that are way out of tune (way to stiff or way to weak) you will never get consistent grouping of your arrows. You need to get your arrows somewhat fixed and correct before you will start to see the improvements you are looking for.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  If you are shooting arrows that are way out of tune (way to stiff or way to weak) you will never get consistent grouping of your arrows. You need to get your arrows somewhat fixed and correct before you will start to see the improvements you are looking for.

Bisch
                  Thisx1000

Comment

Started trying what Ol Man said to do but only got a few sets off before the rain and buddies calling, ended it before dark.
                    Thought about adding weight to the front of my arrows so that may be an answer but what Bisch said is making a lot of sense too, the only problem is money, because I have already spent SO much on arrows and fletches (got the info too late in the game).
                    I will look into the previous posts and stickies for proper arrows but I would really appreciate any suggestions for arrows at my bow weight and weird draw length.
                    Thank you so much for all your help, TBH!
                    I need it badly.

Comment

Go visit Doug.
                      He hunted 10 years with a pointy stick before they even had bows

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                        Go visit Doug.
                        He hunted 10 years with a pointy stick before they even had bows
                        Yeah, I think Doug might be the only guy I know theat has actually killed a mastodon!

Bisch

Comment

Bisch...You never cease to amaze me.

What Doug said

Doug Key

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            Yeah, I think Doug might be the only guy I know theat has actually killed a mastodon!

Bisch
                            LMAO

Comment

My feelings is hurt!!!! Gonna cry myself to sleep for at least a month ya'll are so mean!

they were funny tho'!

Comment

Working...
                              X