Meat Molds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Molds

This is not much of a DIY but perhaps it will help someone. We like to store ground venison and pan sausage in one pound packages. I made these molds from some 4" PVC 2-1/4" long. Packed with ground meat they measure out very consistently at one pound. I make up several of the one pound slugs and the vacuum seal to complete. It speeds up a time consuming process.
    Attached Files

Cool, gonna have to try this thanks for sharing

Comment

Great Idea!

Comment

Good job!

Maybe a 6" x 1" for burger patties?

Comment

That is a great idea.

Comment

Academy sells a 1lb package for ground meat, 100ct is $10. You just have to stuff the bags to the line, tie it up and freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              Academy sells a 1lb package for ground meat, 100ct is $10. You just have to stuff the bags to the line, tie it up and freeze.
              Those work just fine but I prefer to vacuum seal like the OP because I can flatten the meat out before freezing and to thaw only takes about 20 minutes in a sink of cool water. Seems like the center of those tubes take forever to finally thaw completely.

Comment

Be careful there, PVC isn’t necessarily food safe.

Comment

Yeah only 70%+ of the water supply for the entire country runs through PVC pipe. Not much more intimate human contact than a blood infusion, and blood bags are made of PVC.

PVC can have some bad additives put in it during the manufacturing process, but the good grades are very safe. Also PVC is very recyclable, making the green folks happier.

Comment

What Vac sealer are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                      What Vac sealer are you using?
                      Mine is an “antique” FoodSaver. No telling how many lbs of meat have been through it. It has died and been resurrected several times. I keep it because it needs a little less bag to seal.

Comment

Originally posted by hbender1 View Post
                        Good job!

Maybe a 6" x 1" for burger patties?

I have had a PVC burger "maker" ring for a whole bunch of years. I pretty much know what size ball to start with and then push it down in the "mold". Perfect burgers, exactly the same size every time.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a great idea. I have been using a Rudy's cup for 2# and a TBH cup for 1#. Works OK, but if you pack it too tight the suction makes it a pain to get the meat to drop out.

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                            Be careful there, PVC isn’t necessarily food safe.
                            Originally posted by Thainixs View Post
                            Yeah only 70%+ of the water supply for the entire country runs through PVC pipe. Not much more intimate human contact than a blood infusion, and blood bags are made of PVC.

PVC can have some bad additives put in it during the manufacturing process, but the good grades are very safe. Also PVC is very recyclable, making the green folks happier.
                            This made me laugh. Not food safe, but OK to drink water from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                              That's a great idea. I have been using a Rudy's cup for 2# and a TBH cup for 1#. Works OK, but if you pack it too tight the suction makes it a pain to get the meat to drop out.

This made me laugh. Not food safe, but OK to drink water from it.
                              It’s a pretty simple fact... some is safe and some isn’t. It’s not a crazy concept.

PVC is used for cold water delivery only because heat can make the chemicals leach out. CPVC is used for hot water. There are additives in drinking water that keep chemicals from leaching out of all types of pipes. The Flint water crisis happened because the city stopped putting in those additives and the lead pipes started leaching.

There is a reason why commercial kitchens pay double or triple for stainless ring or silicone ring molds... and it isn’t because they like to spend more money.

Anyways, it’s no skin off my back what you do. There are plenty of other things that’ll probably kill us all before that will.
                              Last edited by MetalMan2004; 02-14-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X