Wolves in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolves in East Texas?

The bear thread got me thinking...used to have a lease down around Bronson in SE Pineywoods, and the old boy that ran it always said that there were red wolves in the area... at the time, several years ago, I blew it off as "Old Timer Disease", since TPWD and A&M say they've been gone for years, but I'm wondering - was he seeing coyotes with long legs and reddish fur, or are there wolves in East Texas?

My wifes family has land all over Nacogdoches area and run plenty of cows . They have never mentioned anything about wolves

Comment

I killed a red yote last year. About 50 miles north of Bronson.

Far from being a red wolf. lol

Comment

Most of the red wolves were bred into the coyote population. That is why coyotes in the eastern part of the state are heavier as a whole than our western population. There is a book out called America's New Wolf talking about the hybrids that is a good read if you run across it.

Comment

There were some wolves about 8 years ago ago frankston. There was a guy who raised them (legally or illegally?) and they got out. One of my friends actually shot one when it attacked his brother... they have the photos to back it up. The landowner I leased from knew the person who raised the wolves, and confirmed the story to me

Comment

got video of one from about 4 years ago 1 mile outside lumberton city limits,, tried over and over to convince myself it was a dog,, it wasnt

Comment

..since Red Wolves were indigenous to south La. and the adjacent areas of Texas, it is possible that some still exist....quien sabe?

Comment

I would not doubt it. They are making a comeback thruout the nation. To the dismay of many people.

Comment

Oh great! Wolves, bears, poachers, long lease hunters, black panthers hiding behind every pine tree.....Man, ETex is a rough place to live!

Comment

my dad trapped and killed one about 30 yrs ago in palestine .since then we have seen one

Comment

Wonder if they are being mistaken for the Mexican wolf?

Comment

Goob Newton

Read a story by Ralph Ramos about a character named Goob Newton who hunted red wolves in the Big Thicket.

Ralph wrote a book called Rocking Texas Cradle about life in the Big Thicket. He interviewed a lot of the Old Timers.

He also tells the story of Uncle Bud Brackin of Honey Island who supposedly killed 305 bears in the Big Thicket.

It's an interesting read if you can find a copy.

Comment

Those are just yotes that came off a breading to a redbone.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                            got video of one from about 4 years ago 1 mile outside lumberton city limits,, tried over and over to convince myself it was a dog,, it wasnt
                            Let's see the video already!!!

Comment

I have hunter East Texas all my life and the locals call the yots wolves. Now having said that the best way to tell a wolf is his head and forward set eyes. There have been some yots with some of those trates killed in East Texas. I have also seen a yot wild dog mix that was a mean lookin critter that was killed by a friend of mine in Porter about 20yrs ago. Sadly the Red wolf I fear is gone forever only highbreads remain...

Comment

Working...
                              X