No announcement yet.

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low oil prices are expected to continue through much of this year and next, but as companies shelve plans for new drilling, they are setting the stage for a significant rebound in prices in the years ahead.
    There are plenty of reasons to think that oil could stay “lower for longer,” as both OPEC and non-OPEC production remains elevated in the face of low oil prices, and global economic uncertainties (see: China) raise questions about demand.

Low oil prices will have to force an adjustment in production, as high-cost producers put off projects. But it will happen slowly as existing wells will keep on pumping. Some oil companies are starting to see oil prices dip below their operating costs, particularly in Canada where oil sands have higher production costs and sell at a discount to WTI.
    A new report from TD Securities Inc. finds that some Canadian companies are losing money even on existing projects. “Every single SAGD/CSS player [is] bleeding cash on every barrel of bitumen produced at the current WTI” prices, TD Securities concluded. SAGD is steam-assisted gravity drainage, a process to produce heavy oil sands.
    But they will keep on pumping because shutting down can be expensive and restarting later is also costly and not easy to do. So even though they will lose money on each barrel, they have little choice but to keep going and hope for better times.
    New Drilling
    If existing projects are facing financial pressure, drilling new projects are wholly out of reach for much of the industry. As companies are forced to retrench, cut costs down to the bone, and hope to survive the downturn, new oil fields won’t get drilled, especially not the multibillion dollar projects, such as deepwater drilling.
    For example, the U.S. federal government held an auction on August 19 for offshore oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico, and the results were not good. Only five companies submitted bids and only 33 leases were sold, the worst showing in three decades for the Western Gulf of Mexico. BHP Billiton Petroleum was the largest bidder, spending $16.3 million on 26 tracts.
    “While disappointing, the results of this lease sale are not surprising and accurately reflect the current environment of low commodity prices and increasing regulatory changes and uncertainty. The entire oil and natural gas industry, particularly the offshore segment, is understandably being very cautious about spending money,” Randall Luthi, the President of the National Ocean Industries Association, said in a statement.
    A July report from Wood Mackenzie estimated that 46 large oil and gas projects, that would require around $200 billion in spending to develop, have been indefinitely postponed. Those projects amount to 20 billion barrels of oil equivalent in reserves. Canada could be hardest hit, with projects totaling 5.6 billion barrels of reserves seeing delays. The list of deferred or cancelled projects will no doubt continue to grow as oil prices remain depressed.
    These big-time oil fields that aren’t being drilled – offshore Gulf of Mexico, offshore West Africa, and Canadian oil sands, for example – take several years to develop. Most weren’t expected to come online this year or next, but several years in the future at the earliest.
    This year and next will likely remain “wastelands of low oilfield cash flows, spending and general activity levels,” analysts at Raymond James concluded in a new report. But after that, oil prices could strongly rebound. “While it’s still far away, 2017 appears to be setting up for a significant recovery year,” Raymond James wrote, predicting oil could rise above $70 per barrel by then.
    Beyond that, the market could tighten even further. Mature oil fields suffer from natural decline, at a rough average of around 5 percent per year. That means that new fields must come online just to replace old ones. But outside of North American shale, the world wasn’t achieving a whole lot of gains in oil production even before prices crashed last year. Most new projects were merely keeping up with decline.
    But now, with so many of these large-scale deepwater and oil sands projects delayed or cancelled, that means a significant stream of oil will not come online in the early part of the next decade. And with global demand continuing to grow year after year, a price spike could hit the market by the end of the decade when the shortage of new oil really starts to be felt.

This article was originally published on Oilprice.com.

Comment

XOM is hitting new 4 year lows in pre-market.

And IMO the rebound in oil will not happen slow. They will drop oil until the last person gives up and thinks we have so much oil it will never run low. Then off to the races to the upside.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

And IMO the rebound in oil will not happen slow. They will drop oil until the last person gives up and thinks we have so much oil it will never run low. Then off to the races to the upside.
        I've kind of shifted my thinking to this also.. Maybe slow to 70ish then up like a rocket

Comment

I guess I should use today to start buying XOM and CVX since I still own zero oil stocks.

Comment

Next thing you know you'll be investing in Toll Roads and Sonic.

Comment

Oil down to $38.91 this morning. Another 3%+ drop in one day.

Comment

A happy medium will be found a some point. I just hope the Pyote disposal facility that is planned across the road from me is shot down by te RRC. I have brought this up before here and got bashed for it so I will stop...

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  Next thing you know you'll be investing in Toll Roads and Sonic.
                  Nope.

And why would you ever think I was anti-oil? I'm in the oilfield in case you didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                    A happy medium will be found a some point. I just hope the Pyote disposal facility that is planned across the road from me is shot down by te RRC. I have brought this up before here and got bashed for it so I will stop...

Good luck!

Comment

Getting close to a year since I started this thread. Many guys at the time thought it would be a long time until anything happened to the boom. Hopefully next time it won't hit the same guys quite as hard and hope it got to a few in time

Comment

I had a chance to spend some time with a buddy this weekend that is a lobbyist for a big out of state O&G company. He was telling me most companies are currently working on contracts with the price of barrel is more like $80 than the current price of oil. He says the real hurt is going to come when those contracts run out in the near future and you will see lots of companies go under.

Is the price of oil today a concern because its affects today or is the futures market that it is going to hurt?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                          I had a chance to spend some time with a buddy this weekend that is a lobbyist for a big out of state O&G company. He was telling me most companies are currently working on contracts with the price of barrel is more like $80 than the current price of oil. He says the real hurt is going to come when those contracts run out in the near future and you will see lots of companies go under.

Is the price of oil today a concern because its affects today or is the futures market that it is going to hurt?
                          This ^^^ I a few big oil companies still have oil hedged at 80-90$ a barrel the hurt will come when the hedges run out of oil is still $40 a barrel. One big oil company had natural gas hedged at $8.50 an MCF and that runs out in Jan of 2016. We have not seen the worst of it, if prices don't come back up

Comment

Originally posted by Rage em View Post
                            This ^^^ I a few big oil companies still have oil hedged at 80-90$ a barrel the hurt will come when the hedges run out of oil is still $40 a barrel. One big oil company had natural gas hedged at $8.50 an MCF and that runs out in Jan of 2016. We have not seen the worst of it, if prices don't come back up
                            Heck Linn Energy has all of this year and most of next year hedged and their stock is still getting hammered.. From $31 last summer to under $3 now . Some things I don't understand I just go to work until they say not to

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              Heck Linn Energy has all of this year and most of next year hedged and their stock is still getting hammered.. From $31 last summer to under $3 now . Some things I don't understand I just go to work until they say not to
                              I saw the same thing, it's not making sense. Most people don't realize the hedges are not out until next year so they are dumping the stock. Samson will be the next to be picked up by a big boy, I think. They are hurting and have a ton of new wells someone could pick up for cheap in a time like this.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                I've kind of shifted my thinking to this also.. Maybe slow to 70ish then up like a rocket
                                Hopefully it will hit a happy medium instead of sky-high prices.
                                High enough where the long-term/lifelong oil guys are back to work, but low enough to where we don't have $5/gal diesel/gas.
                                When fuel was that high before, every delivery had a fuel surcharge added.
                                The only people that could afford to take a vacation were the guys making money hand over fist in the oil patch. But they were always working and didn't have time to go anywhere.
                                I think we would all be happy with $3, maybe $4, gas.

Comment

Working...
                                X