No announcement yet.

2 weeks notice or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 week notice should be given. Right thing for both employer and employee. However, companies now seem to let folks go the same day. Though I think they still get 2 weeks pay.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
      I’ve always given a two week notice. I’ve always worked the full two weeks out and never been told to leave earlier. Never burn bridges.
      Same here. Worked the 2 weeks after and then started the next job.

I did give a 1 week notice once and was promoted/substantial pay raise 3 days later.

Comment

Depends on the situation. Giving 2 weeks notice is the right thing to do. It's up to the employer on how to proceed.

If I have someone going to a competitor, they are asked to leave immediately.

Low skill/general labor employee's are typically asked to leave as well. When someone is leaving, their productivity typically drops to next to nothing in those two weeks. There is also a risk that they will not care about quality of work since they are not committed to the company. This could ultimately cause more problems than it's worth keeping them for two weeks..

Comment

Just do what is right.

Comment

IMO this is a thing of the past like company loyalty.

Having said that, I think it depends on occupation and where you're going to work. If you work with confidential/proprietary information/data, don't count on them letting you work out those 2 weeks, be prepared to leave immediately.

Comment

I would give 2 weeks and be prepared to leave immediately or work it out in good faith (not ride the clock/slack at my job for 2 weeks)

As a mid manager I would not let my people go if they gave notice but HR may overrule me

Of course I can't easily fill positions in my department either, takes skills that require training that majority of candidates don't have

So 2 weeks notice or more would be appreciated by me

Comment

I will pay you for the two weeks, but you got to go.

Comment

I've always given the notice. 1st company asked me to work a week or so of it to help transition some accounts to the rep that was going to cover my territory then I got paid out for the 2nd week and just didn't work.

2nd company I gave notice to got pissy that I quit for a better opportunity and I was done with them that afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Let's discuss. If you are a manager do you expect your employees to give 2 weeks notice if they are leaving? If they do will you let them work the 2 weeks? If you are a manager and you give your 2 weeks notice will your company let you work it out or will they say thanks but go ahead and leave?
                    This could be all over the place depending on the employee. It is nice if a two weeks notice is given but that is not a lot of time to rehire, train, etc anyways. Some get to stay the full two weeks if they want and others are let go that day. For your last question.....all depends on the track record. One time I put in my notice in with my VP......after 11 years with that company they gave me two months pay, my one months vacation severance, and I was allowed to keep my company car for two months. Again, track record and professionalism can speak volumes in decision making.

Comment

Every job I have left except one I gave my two week notice. The one exception is one job that I gave them my to day notice. As in, I quit today. Every job that I gave my 2 week notice let me work the last 2 weeks. One job I gave a 3 week notice and they were begging me the whole 3 weeks not to leave.

Comment

As a manager I always appreciate a notice. I'm grateful for them allowing me two weeks to fill their position.

Comment

I've had it go every way as a worker.

One - Gave 2 weeks and they sent me home that day no pay.
                          Two - Gave 2 weeks and they sent me home that day but paid the 2 weeks out.
                          Three - Gave 2 weeks and they had me work and train someone for the 2 weeks.

As a manager I ask employee give 2 weeks notice and give them those two weeks off with pay. This keeps them happy and keeps them from sabotage and spreading negativity to other employees during that time.

Comment

I have been involved in layoffs and no one knew till they showed up for work. I had to walk them out as soon as I told them and HR went thru the rest of the process. I really think it depends on the employee though. I have had people you wish would quit and when they gave notice you went ahead and let them go. People that have a bad attitude and want to quit can do a lot of damage to equipment or inventory if they want to. On the other hand, if it was a really good employee you may want them to finish out their notice. I would personally give a notice, but if I had an employer that I was not getting along with I might just say "See Ya".

Comment

I expect two weeks notice and when ever I've left a job, I've provided two weeks notice.

My company has a question on if the employee provided two weeks notice when off-boarding. If none is given, the employee is flagged for future hires.

Doesn't automatically rule them out for future jobs, but it noted and commented on in the hiring decision.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                                I always went around the place singing Johnny Paycheck songs.
                                I agree!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X