No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWP, I had never heard of Kuiu before!? Thanks for the tip! I will have to check them out. Sitka is over the top pricey! They are in the same price point as the normal non-hunting related alpine gear I buy, but any better deals for good quality lightweight clothing that won't get me killed at elevation is a plus. Primos Micro's are the smallest that I have seen so far, but I haven't looked too hard. They fit my mouth, which is small as well, but didn't cause me to gag. I can't make any sound out of them that doesnt' sound like a drowning cat yet though!

This year was my first elk hunt and I wasn't blindsided by much, I got what I expected. I am familiar with altitude and performance as I am climbing in CO at least every other month come May. What I was surprised at was the animal itself! You can make noise when in a bugle or cow call tit-a-tat with a bull. They don't spook for much else than sight or smell of a non elk species - White Tail schooling out the window. They will almost always circle down wind to get your scent if they don't see another elk on first glance. Got nailed twice that way when my buddy calling lost me and I got out from between he and the bull. And lastly, they have some out of this world hearing telemetry! They can pinpoint your location a half mile away by just one bugle! Phenomenal!
    Next year is going to be split between base camp and back country camp to increase hunt time. Travelling up in the dark and cold takes too much time and I want to beat the others to the herd!

Comment

subscribed!

Comment

With your climbing experience and equipment, you should just do it ala Cameron Hanes style that I do as well. Camp goes wherever you go. I too got tired of humping it up and down the mountain back to base camp. So, what to do??? Carry camp with you! I LOVE camping on elk once I find them. Then early up and I'm golden for getting in on them. Most effective way that I know to hunt elk in DIY public land hunting. But then again, hunting out of a truck on private land would be cool with me too. Just can't afford it. ha ha ha

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
        TWP, I had never heard of Kuiu before!? Thanks for the tip! I will have to check them out. Sitka is over the top pricey! They are in the same price point as the normal non-hunting related alpine gear I buy, but any better deals for good quality lightweight clothing that won't get me killed at elevation is a plus. Primos Micro's are the smallest that I have seen so far, but I haven't looked too hard. They fit my mouth, which is small as well, but didn't cause me to gag. I can't make any sound out of them that doesnt' sound like a drowning cat yet though!

This year was my first elk hunt and I wasn't blindsided by much, I got what I expected. I am familiar with altitude and performance as I am climbing in CO at least every other month come May. What I was surprised at was the animal itself! You can make noise when in a bugle or cow call tit-a-tat with a bull. They don't spook for much else than sight or smell of a non elk species - White Tail schooling out the window. They will almost always circle down wind to get your scent if they don't see another elk on first glance. Got nailed twice that way when my buddy calling lost me and I got out from between he and the bull. And lastly, they have some out of this world hearing telemetry! They can pinpoint your location a half mile away by just one bugle! Phenomenal!
        Next year is going to be split between base camp and back country camp to increase hunt time. Travelling up in the dark and cold takes too much time and I want to beat the others to the herd!

Comment

[QUOTE=Kokanee;4553464]TWP, I had never heard of Kuiu before!? Thanks for the tip! I will have to check them out. Sitka is over the top pricey! They are in the same price point as the normal non-hunting related alpine gear I buy, but any better deals for good quality lightweight clothing that won't get me killed at elevation is a plus. Primos Micro's are the smallest that I have seen so far, but I haven't looked too hard. They fit my mouth, which is small as well, but didn't cause me to gag. I can't make any sound out of them that doesnt' sound like a drowning cat yet though!

The Kuiu camo is about the same price as sitka. The designer of Kuiu worked or maybe still works for sitka. check out Core4element camo too. You can find good deals on camofire and get the whole set. I got pants, shirt, jacket, suspenders, belt and cap for like $250.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            What is the best call for some with a very small mouth and a very very strong gag reflex? I carried mine in my mouth for a week before my last hunt and still gag every time.
            You really need to check out all the mouth pieces. Some are smaller than others but not everywhere sells all the sizes. Abe and sons makes good calls. I try to stay away from the blue reed primos call as it doesn't sound that good.

Comment

[quote=Whirlwind;4553619]
              Originally posted by Kokanee View Post

The Kuiu camo is about the same price as sitka. The designer of Kuiu worked or maybe still works for sitka. check out Core4element camo too. You can find good deals on camofire and get the whole set. I got pants, shirt, jacket, suspenders, belt and cap for like $250.
              KUIU is quite a bit cheaper compared to Sitka. Jason Hairston is one of the two founders of Sitka. But yes, there a lots of cheaper stuff that will work just fine. Might want to check out Kryptek (sp) as well. They are at Cabelas.

Comment

The toughest part of a quality elk hunt is getting drawn.

Comment

[quote=TWP;4553698]
                  Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post

KUIU is quite a bit cheaper compared to Sitka. Jason Hairston is one of the two founders of Sitka. But yes, there a lots of cheaper stuff that will work just fine. Might want to check out Kryptek (sp) as well. They are at Cabelas.
                  Yes depending on what you buy Kuiu is cheaper. I believe the Kryptek is alot like core4.

Comment

You don't always have to put in for draws. This was a DIY public land OTC tag. Killed it last week in Oregon.

Comment

Comment

why blot your face out?

Comment

Not my face. I was there guiding when it was killed by my buddy. Didn't want to post his face without permission from him.

Comment

What unit were you hunting in Oregon? Looks like the coast range didnt think bow season was open there last week end. Twd primos has small dome calls. They fit into roof of mouth better. I have taken larry jones calls and cut them down. I carry 5 to 6 different calls on me and use every one of them. When a bull answers the call that is what I use on him till one of us makes a mistake.

Comment

Did you guide your bud are was it an all DIY hunt?

Comment

There is a thread called (The everything ELK thread) search it good info there.

As for me I will still be putting in for WY. CO. UT. NM. AZ. and maybe NV.

Comment

Working...
                                X