Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
    No doubt can taste mesquite in a steak
    Agree a 100%. If it’s not a bed of mesquite coals it will over power the meat in a hurry. I like a hint of mesquite but cannot stand it if that’s all you taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      Just cooked some steaks also. On gas.

They were superb. As where the fresh picked squash and dug new potatoes that also got cooked on the grill.

I agree. For quick easy cooks during the week on a well season grill, gas is good enough for us. I use wood on the weekends when I have more time to burn down some coals.

Last edited by Smart; 05-20-2019, 07:42 PM.

Comment

If you have decent taste buds YES, you can absolutely taste the difference.
        Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I agree. For quick easy cooks during the week on a well season grill, gas is good enough for us. I use wood on the weekends when I have more to burn down some coals.
          Yes.

After work, shooting practice etc I ain't got time for coals.

The perfect steak cook for me is light the fire pit around 4. Have adult refreshments till about 630 or 7. Shovel coals from big fire pit to steak cooker. Cook steak. Eat steak.

Return to fire pit with more refreshments and a toothpick to tell lies and throw dishes in the fire

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24580070

Red hot charcoal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mequite for sure. Plus it gives me a pounding headache almost instantly. No idea why but always does

Comment

Put me in the same camp as BoB and Smart. Mesquite for steaks. Pecan, Hickory and oak (in that order) for BBQ. I can also go with charcoal for steaks in a pinch. And yes, there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Mequite for sure. Plus it gives me a pounding headache almost instantly. No idea why but always does
                  I thought I was just weird. I hate mesquite smoked or grilled. It makes me nauseous.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                    Put me in the same camp as BoB and Smart. Mesquite for steaks. Pecan, Hickory and oak (in that order) for BBQ. I can also go with charcoal for steaks in a pinch. And yes, there is a difference.
                    I agree

Although sometimes I do mostly oak with a little mesquite for BBQ chicken.

Comment

I like them all except charcoal. Most certainly can taste difference in each.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        I agree

Although sometimes I do mostly oak with a little mesquite for BBQ chicken.
                        Didn't think about chicken. I agree 100%.

Comment

I told my wife to taste the meat and not the heat once.

Comment

Yes, there is definitely a difference in the flavor, depending on what wood you use. There is some wood you do not use, no matter what. Then some that will make any meat taste great.

Comment

I'm pretty much charcoal only at home. Gas grill hasn't been used in years. However if I have access to wood at the ranch coals are preferred. Mesquite isn't my first choice but is okay. Pecan, hickory and oak before mesquite.
                              I prefer applewood for smoking meat.

Gary

Comment

I had a 50 foot tall pecan tree fall on my house, and I guess people around San Antonio don’t like pecan wood because I couldn’t even give it away, finally had to hire someone to haul it all away, a whole 18 wheeler loaded down and another one full of ground up stuff
                                What a waste

Comment

Working...
                                X