Shot a huge buck, but need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codie View Post
    if the head stuck in him and the arrow broke I think you got a shoulder/leg bone - I hope you find him, but if you don't I would not hesitate to think that he is still alive
    I hope you are right if I don't find him. No sleep for me tonight.

Comment

I would give him some time, how bad are the coyotes there? Not being negative but Ive been sure of my shot before and pushed a deer that wasnt gonna die. He must have spun right when I shot cause I ripped him across the shoulder. I thought he was dead for sure but a buddy shot him about a month later. I might take a peek 15 or 20 yrds in to see what the blood looks like and decide from there. Good luck I hope you find him!

Comment

Several of us have been in your shoes

You will replay the shot 1,000's of times and you won't sleep tonight

This experience and shot will make you a wiser and better hunter

Best of luck finding him in the am, call in a dog if possible

Comment

If he's gonna die he's already dead. Go look.

Comment

Did you check the ARROW for sign of how deep it penetrated? The best case here and quite possibly the fact might be that the arrow stuck in the far shoulder. Maybe he was stepping forward with the off side leg? if thats the case he is a dead deer. If you dont see any sign of penetration over 3 inches on the arrow...take a catch dog with you tomorrow.

Comment

I hope you find him! Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by sodapop15 View Post
                Maybe I didn't word it right. I am very upset right now. About three inches where the arrow broke off. He was quarting away a little bit. Instead of aiming back I wanted to hit him through both lungs and come out the other side in front of his shoulder. They do not go far when hit like that. I am worried that it went into his shoulder blade on the crease.
                How much blood is up on the arrow? If you only got a total of 3" of penetration that's not good. But if you've got blood smeared up 6" or more from where the arrow broke you're still in the ball game.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  With 3" of penetration??? Or, am I confused by what he's saying. Prolly!!
                  Hey man i seen some 3'' broad heads at academy it looks serious. they are mechanical

Comment

Good luck and following along.

Comment

you will get him.....congrats when u find him

Comment

We had a flashlight thread?

Why aren't there a bunch of guys out there right now with torches finding the buck and getting him skinned out?

2 pages? Action. You are too far from me or I'm in bro! Right now 11 PM!

You guys are young there will be umpteen hunters out tomorrow or will there?

Comment

Originally posted by VorTexan View Post
                          We had a flashlight thread?

Why aren't there a bunch of guys out there right now with torches finding the buck and getting him skinned out?

2 pages? Action. You are too far from me or I'm in bro! Right now 11 PM!

You guys are young there will be umpteen hunters out tomorrow or will there?
                          it would be light b4i got down there so the flash lights would be useless

Comment

I just saw this. I'm not far from evant if you still need a hand

Comment

Gonna wait till morning. If I do jump him I want to have a rifle. MLD III. I feel sick right now. I am a very good shot and think I made a poor choice in shot placement. 1/2" in either direction and this thread wouldn't have been here. If his shoulder is broke, which I am sure it is he shouldn't travel far. I have to tak my wife to the stand in the AM then when it gets light I will try to find him

Comment

Hunt that stand in the morning just as you would as if this had never happened. Hunt first, see if he comes through, then go look for him. If he is down he's already done for and the varmints have found him, so just a guess... but waiting isn't going to hurt anything. Might even help to answer the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X