Big Bend Ranch State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend Ranch State Park

Does anyone have insight into the legality of hunting Aoudad in Big Bend Ranch State Park? They have drawn permits for Mule Deer, quail, etc. but no mention of Aoudad. It is an exotic species so according to the regs you can hunt them at anytime with a valid hunting license. I called the front desk of the park and she said it was not allowed because they dont want people mistaking Desert Big Horn for Aoudad... this doesn't seem like a logical or legal reason i cant. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

Originally posted by tripleM View Post
    Does anyone have insight into the legality of hunting Aoudad in Big Bend Ranch State Park? They have drawn permits for Mule Deer, quail, etc. but no mention of Aoudad. It is an exotic species so according to the regs you can hunt them at anytime with a valid hunting license. I called the front desk of the park and she said it was not allowed because they dont want people mistaking Desert Big Horn for Aoudad... this doesn't seem like a logical or legal reason i cant. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Check out the 2017-2018 regs handbook. My read is the area is completely closed at various times throughout the year, no access whatsoever. But I could be totally wrong.

I will add, you can go to public land all over NM and hunt them. And NM has way more public land anyways.
    Last edited by WItoTX; 05-14-2018, 12:21 PM. Reason: .

Comment

True, i could go to NM. I just want to hunt my public land here as a point of pride! lol

Like if I go and shoot an Aoudad tomorrow in the park could they do anything about it?

Comment

I highly doubt you can hunt exotics in the park. Would almost bet money on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

If it's not listed in the legal game box for a particular unit in the type 2 booklet then it is a no go. And you will probably get tagged hard for hunting/carrying a weapon on a state park when not there on a permitted hunt
          Last edited by SamSowell; 05-14-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Nope you can’t just show up and go kill an aoudad at a State Park. They used to allow you to harvest aoudad if you were draw for mule deer(I believe) but they have changed that since DBHS were reintroduced to the park. Now they hunt them a couple times a year from the chopper. I hunted there a few years ago for mule deer and this was all explained to our group. You will absolutely be given a ticket if not worse if they catch you.

Comment

[QUOTE=tripleM;13372566 It is an exotic species so according to the regs you can hunt them at anytime with a valid hunting license

... this doesn't seem like a logical or legal reason i cant. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The TPWD rules still apply even for exotics on public land........in this case you don't have permission to hunt there.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by SamSowell View Post
                If it's not listed in the legal game box for a particular unit in the type 2 booklet then it is a no go. And you will probably get tagged hard for hunting/carrying a weapon on a state park when not there on a permitted hunt

What is the type 2 booklet? Can you provide a link?

Comment

They used to do draw hunts for auodad there some years ago. Seemed like every year in the book, the hunter success rate was 0%.

Comment

True, i could go to NM. I just want to hunt my public land here as a point of pride! lol

Like if I go and shoot an Aoudad tomorrow in the park could they do anything about it?
                    I would imagine they would probably arrest you? Or mucho fineo’s if anything

Comment

What is the type 2 booklet? Can you provide a link?

When you buy your 48 dollar aph (annual public hunting permit) they'll send you one in the mail as well.

Comment

"Could they do anything about it?"

Naw, I'm sure you're fine. Go try it and let us know how crazy fun it is!

Enjoy.

Comment

You can hunt Aoudad at Amistad National Reservoir area 4. It's archery only and obviously only legal during the published hunting season. Not to far from Rock Springs...

Comment

Texas State Law says you can't

(3) Wildlife. It is an offense for any person to:
                            (A) harm, harass, disturb, trap, confine, catch, possess, or remove any wildlife, or portions of wildlife from a unit of the state park system, except by a permit issued by the director or as provided by the Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 62, Subchapter D;
                            (d) Arms and Firearms. It is an offense for any person to display or discharge an arm or firearm in a state park, unless:
                            (1) the person is participating in a public hunting activity within the state park that has been authorized by written order of the director so long as the person is in compliance with the applicable public hunting rules and regulations;
                            https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/publi...2&ch=59&rl=134

Sec. 62.061. PROHIBITED ACTS. Except as authorized by the commission under this subchapter, no person may hunt a wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl in a state park, fort, or historic site under the jurisdiction of the department.
                            Sec. 62.068. ARREST. A peace officer, game warden, or commissioned state park employee may arrest without warrant a person found committing a violation of this subchapter.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PW.62.htm
                            Last edited by JustinJ; 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

This guy reads.

Comment

Working...
                              X